We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest - Great City

Neath, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
58 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest - Great City

I have just returned from Budapest and had a great time.

I have to say that I was cautious prior to travelling there following the reports I had read about the city. However I have to say that in my experience these were unfounded.

I found the city to extremely safe and I had no problems walking around day or night. In fact I found it to be a relatively quiet city.

Taxi from the airport (Fo Taxi), ordered from the booth outside arrivals took around 30 minutes to the city centre and cost around £20. The price seemed fair, the car was comfortable and the driver polite and friendly. No complaints here.

The only note of caution I would mention is that I was approached several times by pairs of young girls on Vaci Utca and the square at the end of it (sorry can’t remember it’s name) asking for directions to certain bars. Mindful of the reported scams luring you to dodgy bars I politely declined and walked on without further incident. If those girls were genuinely lost then I apologise for not helping them.

Budapest is a genuinely beautiful city and seeing the castle and chain bridge lit up at night was spectacular. The funicular ride up to the castle is a must as is the parliament while the Jewish shoe memorial on the banks of the Danube is very simple yet effective.

Didn’t have time to visit Hero’s Square which I would have liked to have done. Still it gives me an excuse to return to Budapest in the future.

One final piece of advice is that it was really cold there when I visited (January) at -5oC so wrap up warm.

1. Re: Budapest - Great City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 February 2011, 21:35
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest - Great City

One of my favorite Budapest stories took place two years ago when another 60-ish couple was visiting us in Budapest from the States. The husband and I were walking back to our apartment very near the location you've described (Vaci utca near Vorosmarty ter) andour wives were talking and walking about 50-100 feet behind us. It was near midnight and not many people were around.

Two rather attractive, very young, women came up to us, wearing a small amount of very tight (and somewhat cantilevered) clothing ... and asked us if we wanted to go out. I said we were flattered, but that our wives might not approve or, worse, want to come along, and I pointed back behind us.

The two young ladies dissolved into profoundly embarrassed laughter, actually blushed, ran over to our wives and profusely apologized for bothering us and them, and came back to us and apologized again.

We walked along with them for a few more strides, told them it was not a problem, and we all said good night and went off in opposite directions.

budapest
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest - Great City

There is a very useful article about Budapest scams and a nightlife warning at;

budapestvacationservice.com/budapest_nightli…

as well as a few other very useful hints and tips for visitors. The homepage for the site is; www.budapestvacationservice.com and you can follow the links out from there.

Edited: 24 September 2011, 11:09
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest - Great City

No apology necessary for the drink bar girls of Vaci Utca. Just doing their job. Buyer beware.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
395 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest - Great City

Thats exactly how I found Budapest... no issues with safety at all... in fact on the boat trip I went on to Estromgrad, people were leaving bags on chairs to go and visit the bar, toilet or just walking around the boat, and no-one was interested at all.

I got approached quite a lot of times by the girls, and a polite no is all that is needed.

The only people who seem to rip you off are the very high prices of the drinks & service charges on the pest side of the Danube.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest - Great City

That was my experience recently on a boat tour as well.

Just to be clear, though, did you mean the prices were high in Pest generally? Or just by the side of the river and perhaps over as far as Vaci utca, two blocks away?

Edited: 25 September 2011, 09:28
USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budapest - Great City

John, it’s his impression and it’s a valid impression. And one I have heard before. Lets not interrogate him.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budapest - Great City

actually, i'm genuinely curious whether this is becoming a broader issue - there's an increasing number of posts lately about high drink prices and service charge ripoffs, and i wonder whether the Vaci utca practices are soreading further out...

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budapest - Great City

Not to sound (well, not exactly racist, but...perhaps nationalistic, or just observant) it seems to me that close to 100% of the questions about "where can I get cheap beer" or "drink rip-offs" come from the United Kingdom. Is this the final phase of a kingdom in decline? Or is it just another thread in the unravelling fabric of western civilisation?

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budapest - Great City

John, phrase the question and post it.