We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in budapest

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
4 days in budapest

hi first ever trip bringing kids (34,33,21) to see their heritage. arriving sunday 5pm (june)leaving friday whenever, going to bratislava. any itinerery suggestions pplease 1) is it worth going out to one of the pusztas for the horse riding shows. and on way back any nice villages to see? 2) should we do a tour of budapest 3) can we do one of the baths after a day out (we are staying in adina apta.hegedus gyula utca) 4) we hired a car, can we visit budajeno & mosonmagyarovar on way to tomasov,bratislava can't quite place where they are

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,304 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in budapest

Personally I detest that sort of show, it is history lite to me, but if that is the sort of thing you are into then by all means go: the town of Hortobagy, where a lot of them are held, used to be not much more than an agricultural village 30 years ago, but is now a place which makes it's living from these shows, plus selling faux Hungarian leather goods to coachloads of tourists. The advantage of such a trip is that you will get to see some of the Puszta, of which the Hortobagy National Park is a part.

On the other hand, if you are into wine, a day trip to Eger (can be done by train) might be a better bet. There is a place outside the town called Szep Aszony Volgy (Valley of the Beautiful Women) where a variety of wines and food can be sampled, and the town itself has a historic castle which was defended by fanatical men drinking red wine: the Turks thought they must be drinking Bulls Blood, which is where that name comes from. The Town Hall gates are a wonder of wrought iron.

Not done a tour of Budapest, suggest doing a search on the subject in the forum to get others opinions.

Check the hours of Gellert and Szechenyi Baths on the Interweb, should not be a problem. Baths is furdo in Hungarian.

To get to Bratislava you are best taking the M1 (E60) West from Bpest: Budajeno is a small village a few miles to the West of Bpest, North of the Motorway: I have not been there, but it has <2k people: a visit is easily done. It can be found on Googlemaps.

When you get back on to the M1, go past Gyor and Mosonmagyarovar is just off the Motorway, again to the North. Before the collapse of Communism there was no Motorway, and the main route into Hungary from the West was through Hegyeshalom, just up the road: M'ovar was the first settlement of any size people came to, so it was quite bustling, but last time I drove through it was a bit dead, as it's raison d'etre has ceased to exist. I suspect Bratislava will be signposted as you leave, there are several routes from there.

I am guessing that your reason for visiting these places is family history.

Edited: 19 April 2011, 11:45
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,304 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in budapest

btw the Hungarian drink/ drive limit is zero, I suspect the same will be true in Slovakia (it was standard in all communist regimes, I think).

Make sure your car has a matrica, a kind of toll/ tax disc which is required if you drive on a Motorway: the hire company should provide it, but check. From memory a similar ticket is required in Slovakia, you should be able to buy it at a garage before you get to the border - again ask the hire company.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in budapest

thanks so much, very helpful. yes haven't been home since '72. sounds like Eger it is. didn't know if a tour was the right way to go or just wander around ourselves.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,304 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in budapest

Nearly 40 years ! blimey.

I first went in 78 and nothing much changed while communism lasted.

For the first 10 years post 1989 the pace of change was quite slow, but now Budapest is just like any other major European city - and prices reflect that.

It is still possible to eat out reasonably however (compared to the UK, anyway) and restaurant standards have improved beyond recognition: unfortunately it has become harder to find proper Hungarian food.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in budapest

You can get the route to visit all of the towns you want to visit on Google Maps ( http://maps.google.com ). Just enter all of the town names in the "Get Directions" field and you have a map for your driving trip. Budajenő is a half-hour west of Budapest, in the direction toward Bratislava. Mosonmagyaróvár is close to Bratislava, but right on the route from Budapest to Bratislava. From Google Maps. Tomášov appears to be a half-hour east of Bratislava.

You probably would have to return the rental car to Hungary, rather than drop it off in Slovakia.

As far as wandering around, rather than taking an organized tour, if you speak Hungarian, you would probably do a whole lot better than the rest of us who do not speak a word of that mysterious, indecipherable language! One other itineraryy suggestion that you might enjoy since you left Hungary in '72, is to go to Sopron (not far from Gyor or Mosonmagyaróvár), and visit the site of the Paneuropean Picnic, near the village of Fertőrákos along the Austrian border. This is where the Iron Curtain was most memorably breached in 1989 and, in my mind, was the tipping point that immediately precipitated the fall of Communism in what we then called "Eastern Europe." I'm planning on routing my trip this fall just to see the site. Plus Sopron is supposed to a nice day trip, too.

6. Re: 4 days in budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 00:20