We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bulk cigarette buying!

London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Bulk cigarette buying!

Hi

I'm going to Budapest this weekend and I want to bring back the max 3200 cigarettes. Is there anywhere where I can buy several cartons at once? I went on a similar trip to Bulgaria some months ago and spent most of the trip going from shop to shop as I was only able to get about 100 cigarettes in each. I would like to avoid having to do that this time, if possible. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,040 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bulk cigarette buying!

Bear in mind that some 'Western' brands are produced in the Ukraine - I leave it up to you to guess what impact that might have on the quality.

Do some searching, this was asked recently.

Mentioned in this post
Ukraine
Ukraine
Europe
London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bulk cigarette buying!

Thanks. I appreciate this may have been asked already but I only have internet access at work at the moment and a lot of things are blocked, including the search feature, so I would hugely appreciate it if anyone can give me any further help.

London
Level Contributor
104 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bulk cigarette buying!

I was in Budapest last week and bought two cartons in the market (just on the Pest side of the Danube near the Freedom or green bridge) for F 14,600.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bulk cigarette buying!

Thank you. It's good to get an idea of price too.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,897 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bulk cigarette buying!

Hi anderuk059,

I’m terribly sorry for hijacking your thread, but there’s an issue here I can’t just let go.

RomanCitizen,

I would be very appreciative to learn what your problem with "Western brands" produced in Ukraine" is that you keep on mentioning this dozens of times in each more or less relevant thread, making allegations on quality based on rumours and hearsays.

Haven't you ever heard about cost optimisation and transnational companies? Or do you use “pure British/US products” only and do not have a single item in your house “made in China”, “assembled in Malaysia” or “mis en bouteille au Château”?

Mentioned in this post
Ukraine
Ukraine
Europe
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,384 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bulk cigarette buying!

They probably burn better if they're British. :)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bulk cigarette buying!

ReasonLondon: WOW! Those are some pricey smokes. Dunhill Reds? Regarding "foreign" made smokes, the best deal around are the Romanian "Super Premiums" (Viceroy, etc.). Dirt cheap if you can find them...which you mostly won't because the Hungarians limit their import. As for Unkrainian packs, I have never seen them anywhere except for the piac in Mateszalka, which are brought in every weekend by the Ukrainians. The rest of the country will generally be Hungarian produced licensed Brands such as Marlboro and lesser grades. Hungary grows a lot of tobacco and therefore that is what you will buy. If you want real imported smokes you can pay a ton at the fancy smoke shop just around the corner from Gerbeaud's chocolate joint.

Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bulk cigarette buying!

The absolute best deal you can get is just across the border in Romania. $12-14 for a carton of Dunhill Reds...they were Romanian but good. The Hungarians will let each person bring back two cartons. At least that was the deal last time I went over.

Mentioned in this post
Romania
Romania
Europe
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bulk cigarette buying!

anderuk059: Are you certain England will let you bring back 16 cartons?

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,040 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bulk cigarette buying!

Cora_v, of course I have items made in China in my house, though I won't drink French wine: my point is that the tobacco used in cigarettes made in Central/ Eastern Europe may not be the same as that used in cigarettes made in the US/ UK.

In some cases I know it isn't. My wife lives in Budapest most of the year: she smokes Hungarian cigarettes because her favourite UK brand (no idea what it is) is of poor quality when purchased in Hungary.

I am in no way impugning the people of the Ukraine, rather the practises of the international cigarette companies. If they used the expensive tobacco from the 'West' cigarettes would be beyond the pocket of most Hungarians etc.: I used to be in a similar industry, I know how it works.

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Central
Cafe Central
9,368 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Europe
Europe
World
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Hungary