We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning: Terrible Apartment in Budapest

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Warning: Terrible Apartment in Budapest

I saw someone's posting about apartments rented out by someone named Marton Andrassy in Budapest. We recently stayed in his Astoria Residence apartment and were very disappointed. The apartment walkway and mail area was covered with graffiti, there was even a man urinating in the hallway when we came home one hight. The place was in poor repair, the blankets were filthy and the sheets were musty. We didn't even have a place to empty our kitchen trash so it had to pile up. We contacted Marton numerous times for assistance in making arrangements to getting to the airport and he never responded. Worst of all, I got severly bitten by "something" while I was there. If you want a decent, comfortable place in Budapest ... don't stay there!!

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,461 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning: Terrible Apartment in Budapest

A note to all who may come across this thread ...

first, not specifically about this thread:

it is always tricky to weigh town to read a strongly negative or strongly positive review that comes from someone who has recently joined the forum and has not posted anything else; those who own and rent out apartments (or restaurants, or any other service that TA lists for that matter) can be subject to competitive or otherwise hostile posts, and (when the posts are positive) can make efforts to manipulate the forum to their own advantage

so it always makes sense to take singleton posts with caution...

turning to this one in particular, note that the poster has also written a review, but only one, and that it is a favorable review of a hotel in Prague, so perhaps the above warning may not apply here

note also that if you simply search the forum archives on Marton you will find a rich array of additional threads and posts with varying perspectives ... some very negative, others quite positive; balance them as makes sense to you

finally, note that this forum is not the ideal way to review vacation rentals listed on TripAdvisor; instead, you should review them on the FlipKey website:

…flipkey.com/entries/187580-how-can-i-leave-…

reviewing on FlipKey requires the acknowledgment by the owner that you have stayed there; if an owner falsely asserts that you have not stayed there, you should contact FlipKet customer support

Edited: 06 August 2011, 01:45
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning: Terrible Apartment in Budapest

Well said John.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning: Terrible Apartment in Budapest

I too agree with John.

I would also suggest that one 'search' 'Marton' on TA. (I was around on TA when some of the biggest 'controvery' was going on. ) How much was true and how much was not remains a bit undecided, although I have my own opinion.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning: Terrible Apartment in Budapest

@John,

I think that what you're saying about being cautious when reading posts, is good advice. But it should be based on something other than your own philosophy. The fact that I have also posted a good review suggests that I am not someone who is negative about everything (I think we all know someone who is like that, right) and cannot be satisfied.

Your warning about me (or my post) has effectively nullified my experiences simply because I don't post much. It seems to me there is something wrong with that. Have you ever been to the Astoria apartments in Budapest? If so, When and what was your experience? Are you related to the owner in some way?

You see John, if you have some sort of vested interest in this location, then your motives may be suspect. If not, then you should only contradict someone else's posting if you have had personal experience to back it up. If I'm wrong, let's talk about the location, but I didn't see one comment from you that was based on you having a different experience than mine, but rather only because I don't post much. So I ask again, have you ever stayed there?

Let me tell you, and others, a little about myself. I am not be an avid "poster" because I only speak up when necessary. I do my research and look at both the good and bad posts, and make a decision. We chose this place because it seemed "good". As it turns out it wasn't.

If it was good, as stated in the already numerous postings, then one more positive post from me won't matter much. And although we are not prolific with our posts, we are avid travelers, and have had many experiences, both good and bad. We are not overly critical because we understand there will be cultural differences, which is why we love to travel. But, when we are moved to post anything, it's because our experience was very different than what was previously reported. In this case it was quite negative.

I put out the warning to try and bring that balance you speak of, John and offer another perspective. I also talked to Marton and let him know of our disappointment.

So, if you have not been to this particular apartment, and can neither confirm or deny the conditions mentioned, then YOU should not disparage an honest posting, otherwise you deter people from talking about their experiences. Is that what you want, to silence others?

If you HAVE been to this particular location, then you didn't say you have. So I implore you to bring me some evidence to the contrary, or find someone else to post to the contrary who has actually stayed there in recent months, and then we can talk. Otherwise don't put us down for being honest!

Now, maybe you (or other readers) will get lucky and changes will have been made before you get there. In which case this post has done what I hoped, to make someone else's experience better than ours. I cannot change how things worked out for us, and we didn't let it ruin our trip, we absolutely LOVED Budapest, but maybe it will be better for someone else who may be considering this apartment.

An honest person trying to bring balance and truth,

Happy traveling!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, World Cup, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning: Terrible Apartment in Budapest

Bravo URtraveler1

Well said and oh so correct

Agreed it is a matter of quality not quantity to chime in simply to chime in does none of us on this site any benefit.

Will Rogers was correct in saying "I never met a man I didn't like" unfortunaetley it does noty apply to " I never saw a thread I didn't feel obligated to chime in on"

Again Well said!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning: Terrible Apartment in Budapest

While I understand your irritation, the fact is that an unfortunate number of people seem to appear once with either a wildly positive or wildly negative opinion of something and then vanish forever. It is not unreasonable to wonder about the veracity of some of these, is it? And perhaps to suggest that one might look further before accepting the post as the 'absolure truth?'

With posters with some sort of 'history,' one can look up previous posts and get an idea of the person's sense, accuracy, bias, etc.

I believe that that's all John was trying to say.

I know that I wasn't greeted with much enthusiasm when I first joined TA and posted a mild opinion on something.

We all have to start somewhere.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning: Terrible Apartment in Budapest

Agreed. But no-one has as of yet to counter my review. Has anyone been there recently that has had a different experience?

Maybe we should consider that one reason why some people may not post more than once or twice, is that perhaps it is due to the lack of courtesy from others that use the forums. A little Grace goes a long way. I can tell you for certain, I did not feel welcome by some of the responses. And if John is supposed to be welcoming to newcomers, (According to tripadvisor tripadvisor.com/help/…HEADING ) then he's fallen far short.

I Suppose one of my main points is that there is more room for courtesy and respect and we (myself included) need to be a little slower to debunk a comment based on an experience. You cannot tell me that my experience was wrong! it was only only different. you can take it or leave it, but don't suggest it isn't truth, if you've never been there!

"Courtesy and grace make the world a better place" unknown author

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning: Terrible Apartment in Budapest

I will gladly take credit for that quote if no one else wants it!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, World Cup, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning: Terrible Apartment in Budapest

URTraveler1

Again well said

Oddone 123 I am quite sorry to hear of your initial experiences when you began to post and share what we have all found to be, not only very interesting, but extremly insightful knowledge. Additionally while I am at it congratulations on your recent accent to becoming a Budapest destination expert, your input is always appreciated.

However I do agree with URtraveler1 that quantity does not equal quality. It makes me think of the new kid in 3rd grade who is picked-on, berated and scoffed at by the Big Bad Bully in school.

This site I do believe was intended for everyone...(like the 3rd grade) not a place where a bully will run roughshod over others.

So again I say kudos to you UTRaveler1 about time someone stood up to the bullies

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
4,623 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning: Terrible Apartment in Budapest

Everyone is a first time poster at one time or another

as already stated above may not come back due to bad treatment by some of the regulars in any forum not just here

I say treat others as you would like to be treated

Just my 2 cents worth

Lyn