We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beer in morning

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,297 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
beer in morning

Good place to go for a beer. I arrive into Budapest next week around 9am. i would love to go for a beer. i am at Kings hotel, near downtown what is a good pub to go to for a beer? i assume one can get a beer early in morning in hungary?

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,203 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beer in morning

Personally, I'd head to the mezzanine of the Central Market unless i was looking for camaraderie and a quiet sit as well. But you'll be near Liszt Ferenc Ter and Klauzal Ter... Ket Szerecsen I know is open early not far away and is where I would head if i wanted to stick close to the hotel, but you may well find someplace even closer on the way...

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beer in morning

If you can't find a beer and a beer place to your liking in Budapest at 9a.m., then you are not in B-pest. Follow your nose from your hotel and you would be fine. I would stroll Liszt Ferenc Ter and find the bar/cafe most to your liking...lots of activity there and always good people watching while having your morning quaff. You might also enjoy this recent thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g274887-i263-k4761…

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
4,020 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beer in morning

I agree with johnfarago, the corner bar on the mezzanine level of the Central Market was our regular choice for a late morning beer. Great for people watching (both locals and tourists). Generally though, found few cafes open before 10am - although this was in a very cold February.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beer in morning

Depending on the day, you can go to the great market ( a little walk) and get a gigantic beer, watch the people and have good breakfast for cheap. See the reviews at:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g274887-d276…

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beer in morning

But if you are after a cheap early morning beer, find a local sorozo and all the local beer fans will be there before they go to work (scary) and before the roosters wake up.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,203 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beer in morning

a sorozo is a beer bar, simultaneously uniquely Hungarian and sort of universal; they are all over and the term slides loosely into places that can be somewhat more upscale, but the classic sorozo disappears into the background so smoothly that one never notices them unless searching them out; they tend to be darkish, and sometimes are a few steps below the street; and they are populated at all times of the day or night by, it seems, the same half dozen guys who manage magically to move from one to the next one across town just in time for you to peek in...

and they are indeed open early, but i can't recall any at or near Liszt Ferenc ter ... nor around Klauzal, though I'll bet there are plenty ...

as donbacsi says, if you walk and watch out and follow your nose, they'll appear; but if you are looking for a place a bit more like a British pub or a cafe serving beer and people watching, Ket Szerecsen on Nagymezo just off Andrassy to the south I know is open at 9:00

and perhaps bobandco, who lives near Liszt Ferenc can think of a place...you may want to send him a PM

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beer in morning

There are more than a couple just south of Liszt Ferenc Ter on the east/west streets. As John says, they tend to disappear yet are right there mostly so the wives can't find the beer hounds. However since you now know the name of what to look for it shouldn't be any trouble for a kindred spirit beer hound. They can actually be a lot of fun if you are not looking for napkins, umbrellas in your drinks or free peanuts.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beer in morning

These are great places to go if: you are jet-lagged, wide awake at the wrong time, it is pitch black outside and you want a beer.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beer in morning

There's one at corner Kis Diofa/Kiraly

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
185 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: beer in morning

I have to agree with John on the mezzanine level of the Central Market. We did it last year and heading there this year. It was great to hang out with the locals.