We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to get Szilvas Gomboc (Plum Dumplings)

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wellington, New...
7 posts
Save Topic
Where to get Szilvas Gomboc (Plum Dumplings)

Hi there I'm from New Zealand, visiting Budapest in January and really wanting to try these while I'm there as my grandma used to make them. I've tried googling restaurants but can't seem to find them on any menu. Any ideas?

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,611 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to get Szilvas Gomboc (Plum Dumplings)

They tend to be seasonal (and the season is just about now), so you see them mostly as specials ... Borsso has them advertised as the dessert for a September 22 wine dinner with a plum theme, for example. If you are going to Vienna as well, you might want to look there also, for zwetschgenknodel, The other possibility is to call a restaurant in advance and ask if they can be made as a special order. I have had good luck doing this at Cafe Bouchon on occasion, if I give them three or more days of advance notice.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to get Szilvas Gomboc (Plum Dumplings)

John: Since you recommend Bouchon for virtually every OP request, I must ask. Is the owner/cook a buddy who will whip up special dishes for you, or can any tourist just "call ahead" and get that favorite dish they are looking for?

There is a very elegant (but casual) winery/restaurant on the back road from the spa outside of Eger back to the M3 (although Paul will instantly deny this exists.) They have a restored grand mansion that served this dish the last time I was there. They also served a fantastic version of the pork/plum dish. Worth looking for. Unfortunately you must walk up steps from the ground floor for dinner.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,611 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to get Szilvas Gomboc (Plum Dumplings)

Gee, donbacsi, that's a record: being snide to two people in a single post...at least it is more efficient this way.

Plainly I would not have suggested it if it were not something the restaurant seems to be happy to do when they can - with a dish like this that is in their repertoire already and a few day's notice they can generally work I into the rotation of their daily specials. One of the reason I like the place so much is the way they accommodate all of their guests, not simply those they know well or locals. The first time I went there (wandering in off the street without even a reservation) I was with a meat-impaired friend and the maitre d' spent five minutes exploring, first, what things he would and would not eat in general, and then, second, what he was in the mood for that particular evening, and then proceeded to offer half a dozen options, none of them on the menu or among the specials that day, all of them fitting my friend's boundaries and tastes for the day.

Knocked his socks off. (he wound up with pasta with forest mushrooms in a cognac cream sauce)

A few months after that, my adult step-daughter and 5 of her friends were visiting budapest and I was thinking about great hungarian meals of my childhood and realized that I had not had a whole roast goose dinner with red cabbage and onion mashed potatoes since my mother died. I called Bouchon to see if they could do something like that and two nights later the eight if us were having basically that meal. I say 'basically' because the owner had embellished it by making a starter from the geese's foie gras (well, technically the livers were somewhat smaller than that, but they were very close) and a duck broth.

That's how it became my favorite place for a family dinner.

Edited: 17 September 2011, 16:38
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to get Szilvas Gomboc (Plum Dumplings)

John

Now that is what I call service. I'm putting Cafe Bouchon on my list for our next trip.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to get Szilvas Gomboc (Plum Dumplings)

John: I only asked if you had personal knowledge that this place will do this for someone other than you. Perhaps you could ask them and get back to us. Nothing snide about it. Just trying to get accurate info to the OP's. It would be a shame to send a first-time visitor to a place with their heart set on something only to find it is not possible.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,611 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to get Szilvas Gomboc (Plum Dumplings)

As I wrote in my immediately previous post above, I would not have posted it if I did not know it to be true ...

The question was fine, and totally legitimate; the spin was in the, 'Since you recommend Bouchon for virtually every OP request, I must ask. Is the owner/cook a buddy...'

My presumption is that your own reports here are objectively your view and are not the result of bias or friendship (or enmity). I hold myself to that standard as well.

Innuendo is a practice born of desperation, not courage or wit.

Edited: 17 September 2011, 22:55
Bukkszek, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Eger
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to get Szilvas Gomboc (Plum Dumplings)

Why oh why do you insist on baiting me? I have never come across a more arrogant and conceited individual than you....which spa and which backroad? There are many spas and backroads around here. Most, if not all I guess that donbacs has never visited. As I have previously stated both publicly and privately, I doubt you've ever been to Hungary and believe you to be merely an internet troll.

Edited: 17 September 2011, 23:15
Wellington, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to get Szilvas Gomboc (Plum Dumplings)

Thanks for your answers everyone. We are also going to Austria and Germany so I will have a look for zwetschgenknodel there. If not I will call Cafe Bouchon and see what they say.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to get Szilvas Gomboc (Plum Dumplings)

Paul: Why you continually insist everything I say abut Hungary is false borders on an obssesion. As "the expert" on Eger, I have to wonder how you missed this:

hungarystartshere.com/gallery…

And I suppose this place doesn't exist either?

http://www.booking.com/hotel/hu/egri-korona-borhaz-es-borfalu.en-us.html?aid=306395;label=hu-egerszalok-ZisJVzA3E2YHVNTIz5e8DwS5194831229;sid=ebb0cc3f30bcceaeb720389e047d9ffc

Please keep telling everyone not to go to all the wonderful places I have visited...you are doing them such a great disservice . It is apparent you feel you are the only one qualified to talk about Eger and environs.

Bukkszek, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Eger
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to get Szilvas Gomboc (Plum Dumplings)

Donbacsi, I didn't actually state that I disbelieve you, I merely aske which spa and which backroad out to the M3. It will be far more helpful to the OP if you could be a little more specific.

I believe that there are many people who can offer a great deal of useful help and information to visitors to this area. Alas, you are definitely NOT one of them.

Your replies are usually at best vague, at worst untrue. Most of what you post can easily be found via a Google search.