We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposed Itinerary - Any Suggestions or Advice?

Level Contributor
623 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Proposed Itinerary - Any Suggestions or Advice?

Hello, I will be visiting Budapest for 5 days arriving on Jan 8th at night and leaving on Jan 13 in the late evening.

I like to see as much as I can on a given day, and have put together the following itinerary. I welcome any suggestions, and advice.

Day 1 - Free Budapest City Walking Tour in the morning and the Communist Walking Tour in the afternoon

Day 2 - Tour of the Parliament Building (reserving a time slot in advance), followed by a self-guided tour of Leopold Town. Then the Free Jewish Quarter Waling Tour at 3:30

Day 3 - Castle Hill Walk (with its attractions) from by guidebook followed by Andrassy Ut Walk with its attractions.

Day 4 - Visits to St. Ivan’s Basilica, House of Terror Museum, Holocaust Memorial Center and Museum, Great Market Hall and Opera House Tour.

Day 5 - Walk the Danube Promenade and see Brass Shoe Memorial, Great Synagogue and then go to hotel and take my airport transfser to the airport around 3:00pm.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Proposed Itinerary - Any Suggestions or Advice?

Leopold town? Are you sure its in Budapest?

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,976 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proposed Itinerary - Any Suggestions or Advice?

We found that doing the guided tour of the great Synagog and the free walk of the Jewish quarter on the same day enhanced the walk. The former goes into the Synagog it self and is filled with information about the building while the latter gives more general information about the history of the area and the building.

hth

Pjk

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,958 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proposed Itinerary - Any Suggestions or Advice?

Leopold Town is sometimes the way Lipotvaros is translated

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proposed Itinerary - Any Suggestions or Advice?

The shoes are basically just by the Parliament and should be done at the same time. Pjk is right that you should walk the Jewish quarter and do the synagogue at once. Don't miss the garden in back (and bring a hankie). Then, you should have time to do the Holocaust Museum and central market.

You might want to do the basilica and walk straight up Andrassy Utca to take in the Opera, Terror Haz, and perhaps all the way up to Heroes Square in one day. I would not recommend castle hill and Adrassy in the same day as they are basically on seperate ends of town. Unless you are a museum freak, castle hill can easily be done in 1/2 day.

Level Contributor
623 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proposed Itinerary - Any Suggestions or Advice?

I thank you all for your valuable suggestions which I will integrate into my itinerary. This is exactly the kind of help I was looking for.

lancashire
Level Contributor
34 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proposed Itinerary - Any Suggestions or Advice?

Budapest is so enjoyable to walk around but I wouldn't take too many of the organised waliking tours. We see them every year and never envy those people trailing around obeying orders.

We sit at a pavement cafe is the sun and wonder if some of the tired-looking people streaming past following a coloured umbrella held high, would love to just opt out and come and join us.

Gettin lost, by the way, is half the fun!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proposed Itinerary - Any Suggestions or Advice?

Doesn't the first tour end up on Castle Hill? Then I think you should do Castle Hill after having a lunch and some refreshments.

With the other suggestions, i think you can pull in another day. Maybe an excursion outside Budapest, depending on what the weather is like.

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Proposed Itinerary - Any Suggestions or Advice?

Donbacsi, from the Parliament how do you get down to the shoes? I have never been able to figure it out. We went climbing down retaining walls and rushing across traffic once, but it was risky. I have always figured there must be a safe way but i have been unable find it so we always approach from the Chain Bridge which is not convenient if you are way down at the Parliament.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,976 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Proposed Itinerary - Any Suggestions or Advice?

FWIW the free Budapest walking tour of the Jewish Quarter makes a resfreshment stop at one of the ruined pubs.

Pjk

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,380 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Proposed Itinerary - Any Suggestions or Advice?

Lipótváros = Leopold town

welovebudapest.com/en/sights-tours/lipotvaros

I like your itinerary, but would incorporated some relaxation - perhaps swimming in mineral pool of Gellert Hotel.. A lot of walking.....

budapestdreams.com/wellnes-spa-budapest.php