We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Eats in Budapest?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap Eats in Budapest?

All we ever hear about is where to get that elegant dinner which may or may not stretch the budget. But what about places for the family of four or the starving student looking to fill up on decent food for a reasonable price? As a person who has walked the back streets for many years, I'll offer to start.

There is a place just off Oktogon that will fill you up for peanuts. Go south on the korut, walking on the west side. about two-three blocks down just around the corner will be a very small Chinese restaurant. It has about 2-3 steps up to a buffet with maybe five tables. I call it Hunan/Hungarian Fusion because they use Hungarian paprika peppers in many of their dishes. There are a variety of mild and spicy dishes and they are dirt cheap. The only drawback is that they don't speak English and their Hungarian is none too good either. But they have pictures on the wall and you only have to point to get what you want. This is a great place to fill up for lunch if you are in the area and want to save money.

Edited: 30 September 2011, 18:39
Level Contributor
637 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap Eats in Budapest?

Do you know the name of the street it is located on Donbacsi? I am budget-oriented and would like to have lunch at this Chinese restaurant. My hotel is very close to Oktogon. Reading your post I gather that they have a buffet lunch as well as a la carte?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Eats in Budapest?

Don't know the name, but it is really easy to find (I did) It is all buffet with the standard "two item" "three item" "four item" pick your own dishes. You will not have any trouble finding it. I have eaten there many times and never been disappointed. It is quick, cheap and easy. Just head south from Oktogon on the west (river) side of the korut and look to your right on each street you come to and you will find it on the north side of the street. It is just off the main street so you don't have to go wandering down a strange side street.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap Eats in Budapest?

You might ask at your hotel if in doubt, as it is almost all locals who eat there. Which hotel are you in?

Level Contributor
637 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap Eats in Budapest?

Thank you Donbacsi. I am in EasyHotel which is definitely a budget hotel but it has 24-hour reception at which they speak English so I can ask them if I have trouble finding the place.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap Eats in Budapest?

Evelyn: You have a very interesting "profile" which I urge all regular posters to read. I always try to read a poster's profile if they bother to write one so I can match up suggestions. I hope you will give us a report of your trip, and maybe a couple of reviews.

Level Contributor
637 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap Eats in Budapest?

Thank you Donbacsi. I will write and post a trip report on this forum after my visit to Budapest. As well I will write a review for Tripadvisor of some of the Budapest attractions I visit as I have done more recently for some of the cities I have visited. I get so much help from forums like this one and from reading other posters reviews of attractions that they have visited so I like to "give back" and share my experiences:)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap Eats in Budapest?

Here is another money saving tip for your visit:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g274887-d204…

Level Contributor
637 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap Eats in Budapest?

Thanks - good idea as I plan to visit some of the museums.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,746 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap Eats in Budapest?

One item:

The Budapest Card which is referred to is not really a good deal. For many museums, all it gives you is a 'discount,' usually 10% or 20%. And one of the newest incarnations doesn't give you the public transport - just the discounts Unless you are going to dash from one museum to the next while you are there, it would be difficult to make a Budapest card worthwhile against buying travel cards and then paying the regular entrance fees at the nuseums, etc, you wish to visit.

bkv.hu/en/types_of_tickets_offered_for_touri…

I just looked up the price differerence for a 72-hr travel card vs a 72 hr Budapest card. The 72 hr travel card is 3850 fts; the 72 hr Budapest Card is 8300 fts. On 10%-20% discounts on the major museums It's going to be darned hard to make up the difference (~4300 fts) in 72 hrs, as most museum fees (the big costly ones) run bout 1000 fts each (plus or minus about 200 fts).

Level Contributor
637 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap Eats in Budapest?

Thank you oddone123. I will buy a 72-hour travel card and not the Budapest Card.

I will be in Budapest for 5-days so I guess I will need to buy a 72-hour travel card and then a 48-hour card as I have not seen a 5-day card available.I plan to do a lot of walking to see the city but it will be cold in January so would like to be able to take the Metro when I am cold or it is convenient to get from point A to point B. As well, I don't want to run the risk of getting a fine because I forgot to punch my ticket:)