We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do's and Don'ts in Budapest

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Do's and Don'ts in Budapest

So often the regular posters forget to mention simple basics about life and how to enjoy Budapest when giving advice. Perhaps those with knowledge and experience could add a few things here for a simple "How to do Budapest" check list for the newcomer? This could include what you HAVE to do and what you absolutely should NOT do (e.g: transit tickets). I know many of these things are covered in many different areas, but if we could put them all together in one place I think it would be helpful.

1. Don't ever plan to visit museums on a Monday, either in Budapest, or anywhere else in Hungary. They are all closed and you will then be trying to figure out how to fill your day. Monday is a TRAVEL DAY.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do's and Don'ts in Budapest

I am sad to see that this post didn't get any other comments. I am heading to Budapest (and Prague and Vienna) in December and information like this is exactly what I am looking for. I love reading all the tidbits of knowledge people have about a certain city. I do hope more people will add information.

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do's and Don'ts in Budapest

Do: Take flowers to the shoes on the embankment.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do's and Don'ts in Budapest

C'mon people, a little help here. Think like a tourist: What to take/not take to the spa? What days/times to not visit the Synagogue and take the Jewish District tour? etc....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do's and Don'ts in Budapest

If you can.

DO try to visit Hero's Square at three different times of day (early morning sunrise - afternoon and in the evening when dark and the lights are on)

You will be amazed at the difference of feel this one spot will offer at the different times

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do's and Don'ts in Budapest

DO drink plenty of Hungarian wine with your meals, even if you're not eating Hungarian food. And have a glass of Tokaji with (or for) dessert at least once.

DON'T forget to check whether the restaurant you plan to go to is open on Mondays. It's not just the museums that are closed that day.

DO buy a 72-hour transit pass, if you're going to be in Budapest that long. It's not a great deal and, in fact, may end up being more expensive. But it's so much more convenient than constantly buying tickets and validating them.

DO try to use at least one word of Hungarian per conversation. Since it's an impossible language to decipher, the word I would choose is "köszönöm," pronounced KER-ser-nurm or thereabouts, which means "thank you." Hungarians know they speak an impenetrable code so, even more than most places, the locals sincerely appreciate the effort. Second word would be "Szívesen," pronounced SEE-vuh-shen, for "you're welcome." (Nearly everyone in Budapest will speak sufficient English for communications purposes, although many are lacking in confidence with their perfectly acceptable English language skills.)

DO go to a thermal bath, but make it either the Szechenyi or the Rudas, depending on whether you wanted mixed gender (Szechenyi) or segregated (Rudas). And get a massage there, where you pay up front when you walk in. The massages are decent quality and outrageously cheap by U.S. standards.

And DON'T forget your flipflops when you go. Take a towel and swimsuit if you're going to the Szechenyi. You won't need such things at the Rudas.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do's and Don'ts in Budapest

I hope nobody minds but in my reading of the other threads, I picked up a few dos and don'ts posted by others that I thought would be good to have here. Hopefully, it will inspire a few more posters to chime in.

DON'T buy lunch on the hill if you can help it as it is, in most cases, more expensive but not any better than any of the cafes and restaurants on the square.

DO buy a 3-day transit pass if you prefer convience over possibly paying slightly more for individual tickets.

DON'T go to St. Stephen's Basilica on Sunday as they don't like tourists visiting during Mass which can be held at various times and various lengths.

If I got any of these wrong, please correct me.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do's and Don'ts in Budapest

Oops, just noticed the 3-day pass thing had already been said. I apologize for that.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
4,667 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do's and Don'ts in Budapest

question

Where to buy the 3 day pass near Marriott hotel?

Moscow
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Do's and Don'ts in Budapest

You may buy 3day pass at Deak ter metro station (English speaking personal)

Moscow
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do's and Don'ts in Budapest

Another places you may find at: bkv.hu/en/…opening_hours_of_ticket_offices