We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest to Dubrovnik-Train????

New Orleans
Level Contributor
251 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest to Dubrovnik-Train????

I am thinking of a two week trip with a week in Budapest and a week in Dubrovnik. Do you think this is a good idea?

What would be the best way to go from Budapest to Dubrovnik?

Would it be train of rent a car?

How long would it take?

Would it be safe to go by car and is there anything interesting to see along the way.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest to Dubrovnik-Train????

There is no train to Dubrovnik. So that option is out. The closest you can get by train is Split and the trains within Croatia are old and slow.

I did a 12-day trip from Dubrovnik to Budapest in 2010. I flew into Dubrovnik. I had an excellent guide drive me to Medjugorje and Mostar for a day trip. When I was ready to leave Dubrovnik, I rented a car and drove to Pag Island, then to Lake Bled, Slovenia, and returned the rental car in Zagreb. I took the train from Zagreb to Budapest.

The roads in Croatia are excellent. The controlled access highways -- I want to call them interstates but I know that the term doesn't apply over in Europe -- are wide, safe and fast. The only problem with renting a car and driving between Zagreb and Dubrovnik is the huge number of places you would want to stop (Plitvice Lakes, Hvar, Korcula). The coastal roads in Croatia are spectacular, but very windy and slow-moving (and in the spring, they were packed with RV's).

So I would recommend train between Zagreb and Budapest, and a rental car from Zagreb to Dubrovnik. Do not return a rental car to an in-town location in Zagreb, as Zagreb is a tough city to navigate. And in Croatia, you typically can return a car to a different location in Croatia without incurring any fees.

Buses within Croatia are also an option if you don't want to rent a car. Apparently the inter-city bus network within Croatia is very good. I know nothing about bus transport within Croatia, so you might have to take that question to the Croatia forums.

Edited: 12 November 2011, 18:39
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest to Dubrovnik-Train????

I do need to add one thing about the rental car option:

Do not pick up a rental car in one European country and return it in another. The fees to do this are outrageous. And you will not need or want a rental car at either end of your trip.

While there are plenty of places that would be worth visiting between Budapest and Zagreb, weirdly enough none of them are stops along the train trip. Pecs, e.g. So you would just stay on the train for the entire time between these two places. Check the English language version of bahn.de -- http://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml -- for information on train schedules.

Now, if you have a car between Zagreb and Dubrovnik there's a huge number of places that you would want to stop. That's why I would strongly recommend having a car for that part of the journey. (Zagreb city itself is worth only about a day to absorb the major sites. No more than that.)

Edited: 12 November 2011, 18:51
3. Re: Budapest to Dubrovnik-Train????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2012, 10:28