We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time of year to visit budapest?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,262 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
best time of year to visit budapest?

just starting to think of a holiday to europe for 2012.

would love to visit budapest (and prague and st petersberg and so many other places...sigh!)

we were thinking of september but would it be better to come earlier like june or july? would prefer to avoid the high tourist season with the big crowds and high accommodation prices.

(wow! my first post on a europe forum!)

thanks for any advice.

Edited: 18 December 2011, 10:26
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,943 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best time of year to visit budapest?

Hi JuneTL,

Welcome to the European side of TA! When friends ask the same question, I typically say September or October for the exact reason you suggest - the bulk of the tourists are gone and the city is a tad bit quieter. But, Budapest is a large city with its sites spread all over meaning it can absorb a lot of guests.

I'd go with September because of the lower tourism and a bit cooler than July. June is a great time as well but as the month proceeds tourists start to take hold. Sept first, June second and July third. Note the the high-end hotel rates may rise in Sept because the business travel kicks back in. Start digging around on sites now.

Once you have dates nailed down, come back and we can help you with more specific items. Happy travels,

Jeremy

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,681 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best time of year to visit budapest?

IMO late May/ early June is the best time to visit anywhere in Europe, apart from the Uk and Scandinavia: the weather should be warm enough, the crowds not too large and cities should have spent the winter recovering from the previous season i.e. they will have a fresher feel.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,262 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best time of year to visit budapest?

thanks to both of you for your prompt replies.

i'll certainly be back to the budapest forum with lots of questions once we make firmer decisions on our travel plans.

the difficulty is which cities to visit after we make the long flight from australia to europe.

will start keeping an eye on the flight deals.

happy holidays.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best time of year to visit budapest?

I am forced to chose between Jeremy and Roman on this one. I must go with Jeremy this time for a number of reasons. I have a small farm in Hungary and generally make three visits a year: late April/early May to "open up" the farm. Spray the orchard, break the soil and plant the seeds. Then a trip in very late June/july to poke at a couple of weeds and act like a farmer for a week or so and then go drive around the countryside for a couple of weeks. Lastly, September for the harvest.

May has nice weather, but in my experience, the cafes may have new wait staff and even new cooks. This means "on the job training" as they prepare for the summer rush. I have even had one of those huge umbrellas fall on our table because it was not secured properly.

By September, all the "bugs" have been worked out in the cafes and all the other tourist sites, the kiddies have gone back to school and parents back to work, and there is room to stretch out and enjoy B-pest and the countryside. In addition, this is harvest time. Most of the fields are still lush and green and have corn stalks, huge sunflowers, cucumbers, tomatoes and everything you could wish for. The restaurants are full of "everything fresh" ingredients. And, the great Castle Hill wine festival will be going on. There really aren't any big festivals to visit in May. September is the time to go!

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
65 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best time of year to visit budapest?

September - October also for me!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,111 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best time of year to visit budapest?

May June is perfect for southern Europe. If you are visiting a few places I would avoid July, getting busy and too hot in some places. September sounds best for your plans.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best time of year to visit budapest?

Hi June,

I'm with the others regarding September in Budapest. We've been there twice now in that month and it's been pleasant in terms of weather (albeit a little warm occasionally, but no problem for a Sydneysider!) and, although busy, I wouldn't say too crowded. Enough people around for an interesting buzz, yet easy enough to dodge them whenever you wish.

I see that you're starting to think about other places to go on your European trip - and that St Petersburg gets a mention in there. If you're thinking of including St P on this run, it might be a good idea in terms of weather to go there first, then head south. We were there in August and it was already getting cool-ish, but it was also still fairly crowded in the main tourist spots; apparently early September is a great time to go on both counts.

Have fun planning!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,262 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best time of year to visit budapest?

thank you to all of you who have taken the time to reply.

my husband and i will probably go for the september time frame.

@halwimsey, thanks for that tip about St P ie. going there first and then heading south as the winter comes in. yes, very tempted with St P and the Hermitage museum. not really museum people but have heard that the Hermitage is magnificent.

lots of planning to do after the holiday season is over.

9. Re: best time of year to visit budapest?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2012, 10:18