We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest in February

London, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest in February

Is there likely to be snow in Budapest during the first week of February? Also what temperatures are usual. Trying to think of what to pack. Thanks.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,281 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest in February

You could ask the same question about London - i.e. snow is a possibility, but is by no means certain.

Check the weather forecast a couple of days before you leave.

London, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest in February

Thanks for that not very helpful response.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest in February

horace001,

The answer is 'Who knows?' It could be such that a swater will be fine, or it could be -15C with snow and ice. While I've not been in February, I have been in November and have run into -15C with ice, and pleasant weather (not coat required). No answer is going to be very 'helpful.'

London, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest in February

I did start typing a response but frankly cant be bothered.

The answers received from "experts" were NOT helpful and I found them quite sarcastic. I have already looked at historical weather details but thought maybe someone may have some real experience of Budapest in February (not November).

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest in February

Horace: You can get two very different weather systems that time of year. You can get the North Sea howling down, frosting the moors, the midlands and all the way to London. By the time it gets to B-pest in the form of the standard west to east clouds, rain and snow, it will be greatly moderated. On the other hand if you check the 5-7 day weather map forecasts just before you leave, and see there is a front coming from the north or northeast , you are looking at the Siberian Express and you can expect to find blistering cold. You really need to check just before you leave. The experts were right, but perhaps didn't give you explainations for their opinions. They are not being snarky. They are just here to try to help.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest in February

Horace,

I wasn't being sarcastic. Often weather in February (in a lot of places) is similar to that in November. The point is that it can be a lot of things depending on what's coming down from where. Hungary is land-locked, so no ameliorating stuff from nearby warmer 'seas.' (And stuff does not come up from the Mediterranean.) So you get stuff either from the west which is more moderate, or stuff that's coming from Russia and Siberia. And it can be either. You're dealing with 'continental' type weather here, which is wildly variable. (Except in summers, when it's usually hot, or I find it so.)

As far as snowfall is concerned, I suspect that it will be less variable than it is here in Denver. (Try having 72 F one day and a 36" snowfall and -15 F overnight in early March sometime.) I doubt that Budapest or Hungary hit that, but expect possible wild variations from the historical weather details. Far more than you're likely to have in London.

Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,221 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budapest in February

when i book far in advance, i treat budapest, paris, and london as though they were interchangeable ... although there are modest statistical differences in the shape of the curve, the ranges in temperature and precipitation seem to me to fall within roughly the same bounds and the predictability is nil...

what always messes me up is that for some reason i can never get my heart to admit what my head (and the calendar) know: february, especially early february, is serious winter

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,281 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budapest in February

Horace001, if I had wanted to be REALLY sarcastic - and as unpleasant as you - I would have been.

The HELPFUL comment is, look just before you go. Central Europe has just as unpredictable weather as the UK, As Oddone says, she has been in November and had both extremes.

The only definite thing you can say is that IF the forecast says it will be 'cold for Hungary' it will be much colder than the UK. I have experienced below -20 at the end of January - but I looked at the weather forecast before I went.

As JohnF says, February is serious winter.

Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budapest in February

We are going end of Feb, not expecting good weather, will wear and pack layers both warming and waterproof, but will be checking the BBC weather website in the week before we leave. Plan to eat some warming goulash on thefirst evening and take it from there...

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budapest in February

John, isnt Paris referred to as the Budapest of the west?

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France