We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eastern Europe.HELP..!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
254 posts
Save Topic
Eastern Europe.HELP..!

I will be in Warsaw in March and want to visit another city in Eastern Erope..the more I read more scams I find and make my wife uneasy..We were thinking about Bupapest ( I was once and almost scammed twice ).which I did not get to know well, also Zagreb ans Sofia but we don't feel safe,,,I know Prague well and most other cities...Please help....

Mentioned in this post
Warsaw
Warsaw
Mazovia Province, Poland
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eastern Europe.HELP..!

Hi refran,

Regrettably, scams are all around us - especially in major cities. The use of common sense - which you seemed to deploy - will certainly help. I have lived in Budapest for more than a decade and believe the city has always been safe - and more so now than ever as the city continues to become cleaner and more investment is brought in through the EU, local government and private investors.

Are you planning on flying or driving to your selected location from Warsaw? What are you and your wife's likes? What type of things do you enjoy and would like to see? You know - Krakow, Poland is fantastic and fairly close to Warsaw, as is Zakopane. Two places, especially Krakow (my favorite small city in this part of Europe) that would be on my target list inside of Poland.

Budapest is a great place with tons to do and see. The city is a great tourist destination because of the culture, relaxed personality, great sights and colorful history - not to mention great places to spa, eat and drink.

Give us some more insights on what you two want to achieve and we can help you narrow it down.

Jeremy

Mentioned in this post
Warsaw
Warsaw
Mazovia Province, Poland
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
Poland
Poland
Europe
USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eastern Europe.HELP..!

What kind of scams?

Kentucky
Level Contributor
254 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Eastern Europe.HELP..!

Thanks for your very good advice....first we like to eat well, and enjoy culture and night life, we don.t mind to go over the budget if it is well spend..on the other hand scmas where always trying to change money. and a woman besides me was robbed in the tram at 11 a.m.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eastern Europe.HELP..!

Hello again refran,

I can understand your desire to revisit Budapet as the culture is deep and apparent, the food offerings belt busting and the night life pleasing for all tastes. Help us with specific questions and wants you'd like us to comment on. You can also send personal messages for off-line conversations.

Jeremy

Kentucky
Level Contributor
254 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Eastern Europe.HELP..!

Thanks very much. I will greatly appreciate your help...I will contac you.

Thanks very much again

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,248 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eastern Europe.HELP..!

This is an open information website to share experience and personal knowledge, with all.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eastern Europe.HELP..!

Budapest is very safe. Your physical safety is far superior there than to any comparably-sized city stateside. As far as scams, there is the notorious scam about the attractive young ladies flirting with unattached men and getting them to buy them drinks at unnamed bars. Solution? Don't follow flirtatious young ladies into unnamed bars the girls have chosen! Oh and don't take cabs on the street but, then again, I once took a cab outside Keleti station at night -- I had no European cellphone to call a reputable cab company -- and I lived to tell about it.

As far as choosing between Budapest and Zagreb, there's no choice. Zagreb is perfectly nice place. I love Croatia, esp. since it is the land of my heritage. But Zagreb is a one-day visit. Now, if you really want to go to Croatia, Dubrovnik is worth a much longer investment in time than Zagreb. Another place to consider in that half of Europe you didn't mention: Ljubljana.

All of those places are perfectly safe. Not so sure if Sofia fits that criterion.

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eastern Europe.HELP..!

I should give Belgrade a mention. Great nightlife and food. I had a really enjoyable time there.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,163 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eastern Europe.HELP..!

Budapest and Warsaw etc are in CENTRAL Europe - Hungarians can be a bit sensitive about this.

Mentioned in this post
Warsaw
Warsaw
Mazovia Province, Poland
Kentucky
Level Contributor
254 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Eastern Europe.HELP..!

Thanks all of you for the great help...I will review all thosw places...