We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Down Duvet/Comforter

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Budapest, Hungary
2 posts
Save Topic
Down Duvet/Comforter

Hello All,

I have been living in Budapest for about 3 months now and will be here for another year or so. I'd really like to buy a down duvet, but haven't been able to find a place that sells them besides Ikea. I found this post:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g274887-i263-k1638…

But I wasn't sure if the place mentioned here was still around as a name was not given. Anyone have any idea where I could find a duvet? Thanks very much!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Down Duvet/Comforter

I bought mine at the bright,clean shop right on the corner at the north end of Akacfa Ut. The staff was very friendly and helpful They seemed to really enjoy their work. I got what to me are very good quality items at a decent price. They even gave a heavy-duty zippered plastic bag for each item to use for travel and storage. Well worth checking out!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Down Duvet/Comforter

Hello AKW,

A couple of options to consider. First, Elfenbein Duvet - a small shop in district 6. I initially contacted the owner for some information and he was very personal and quick to respond. A solid option. Info below.

Another option is to use Shop Marriott. I really like their duvet's and you can order on-line and have it shipped to your front door. I have used the German site in the past - http://www.shopmarriott.com/index.aspx

H-1067. Bp. Teréz krt. 35.

Phone: 06 1 3122516

Mo-Fri: 9:00 till 17:30.

+36 30 3160745

www.paplan.hu

Happy shopping.

Jeremy

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Down Duvet/Comforter

First for context, we live in South Texas which doesnt have much of a winter. When we furnished the Budapest apartment we purchased a fine feather duvet at the suggestion of the gentleman we talked into being our shopping guide for the day. What did we know about Budapest winters?

The first cool night my wife loved it so much she demanded the same for our home in Texas. So I did a little research and bought almost the best money can buy. My g-d it was expensive! But its done and she loves it. So for her birthday i bought a feather mattress topper. Again, my g-d it was expensive! This was a giant mistake. Now she is "desiring" the same for Budapest; the topper and an upgrade to the duvet.

So please let me / us know what you find and where.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,667 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Down Duvet/Comforter

A couple of additional options:

Billerbeck (a German company with high end duvets that us, I believe, Hungarian goosedown and feathers) has several shops in Budapest (the following link is in Hungarian but has maps; the shop on Kiraly near Deak ter is very central; the shop at Kiraly and Akcfa may well be the place donbacsi refers to without naming it):

http://billerbeck.hu/content/kapcsolat

the largest hungarian manufacturer of goosedown comforters is Peter's Paplan and they have an outlet at Kalvaria ter 19 ... this is something of a challenge ... they don't speak english and it's pretty far out of the way; their outer material is rather coarser than Billerbeck's and their quilting pattern less complex, bout they are vastly less expensive and an incredible deal...pillows as well...manufactured outside Budapest:

http://www.peterspaplan.hu/de/index.html

no idea whether that shop in the link still exists, and i am not sure whether another one is still there that was at the north end of Nador ter where Jozef Attila intersects it ,,, a couple of shops above the Herend shop on Nador ter ... nice people ... not especially great prices ... excellent quality ... very limited english

Budapest, Hungary
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Down Duvet/Comforter

Wow, donbacsi, Jeremy and John thank you so much! I'll definitely take a look at these places, hopefully this week sometime. It even appears Billerbeck is having a sale. I'll see if I can bring a friend who speaks better Hungarian than I do and report back, Bobandco.

Jeremy, thanks for the reminder about Marriott, I frequently stayed in Marriott hotels for work and recall really liking their duvets. If all else fails, I might just do that.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

heibloem
Level Contributor
3 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Down Duvet/Comforter

Do you know where one can buy a good quality all natural wool duvet in Budapest?

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,667 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Down Duvet/Comforter

Peters Paplan, link above, sells wool-filled duvets but I am not certain heather they are all-natural and would bet tat they are not

heibloem
Level Contributor
3 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Down Duvet/Comforter

Thank you for your help. I already contacted the shop and they have just what I want.

Budapest, Budapest...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Down Duvet/Comforter

Hello,Thank You for your message,I want to tell,that we are existing in XIII.Visegradi street 6. We do speak English,and have down duvets,and pillows,wich we make ,in any sizes,and in the best quality.Besides,we are not too expensive, and have a website: www.peterspaplan.hu,so anybody wish to buy down,or feather goods,we will be happy to offer it!

Peter's Paplan Ltd.Hungary Budapest

Anchorage, Alaska
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Down Duvet/Comforter

I just returned from Budapest and went to Peter's first, then Elfenbein. This is a no-brainer. Peter's was a nice retail shop, they have a small variety of pillows, ok prices, no English, and communist-era attitudes towards service: take it or leave it.

As soon as you walk into Elfenbein, you know it is the real deal: creaky wooden steps go down to the "shop". There are feathers everywhere. The people who work there are extremely nice, make the pillows & comforters right there, and speak English very well. Their customer service was great: when I asked them if they could make an "over-stuffed" pillow, they opened a pillow, and right in front of me added additional feathers, checking with me to get it just right, then they re-stitched the pillow closed, all for no extra cost. They then made a comforter to mt specifications that day, as we were leaving the next morning. All this is cheaper than Peter's (there is clearly no middle man!).

In summary, Elfenbein is a place where you will want to bring your camera: it looks old-world, the service and prices are great. Highly recommended.

Edited: 06 February 2013, 16:57