We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus and Tram Stops

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
908 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Bus and Tram Stops

How do you recognize a bus and tram stops in any street? And which direction are they going? We will use mostly our feet sightseeing around Budapest but just in case they get tired it's not a bad idea to hop into one of the public transports.

That said, is there any bus/tram/metro stop close by the Corinthia Hotel?

Thanks for any info!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus and Tram Stops

Hi beenthere,

The bus and tram stops are marked, albeit in some cases not very well. The easiest think to look for is people standing all looking the same way down the road. Most bus/tram strops are marked by signs that will have the scheduled bus routes and timetable.

Budapest is a great city for public transportation. Although not necessarily the most fancy, I'd place it up against any other city. Globally. Be certain to purchase a multi-day pass. They're the easiest by far (versus punching tickets) and pretty reasonable for what you get.

Concerning the Corinthia - there is a tram stop (the 4-6) right across the street. And down the block a bit is Blaha Lujza - a major bus/metro/tram hub. I work close to the Corinthia - it's a solid area and a nice property. Be sure to take the #2 tram - the entire route. It will offer fantastic views of the parliament, city center, chain bridge, palace, castle district, national theatre, etc. Take it both day and night. You can get there by using the 4-6 tram towards Margit Island and getting off at stop BEFORE the river.

Enjoy our great city.

Jeremy

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus and Tram Stops

I forgot - here's the public transport website's map service.... bkv.hu/en/day_services_map/day_services_map

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
908 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus and Tram Stops

Hi Jeremy,

First, thank you for your time in helping us, tourists, navigate the streets of Budapest. I'm looking forward to a wonderful visit. Certainly the link is helpful but I'm so sorry to tell you, I'm overwhelmed with the street names in hungarian language.

Tram stop (the 4-6) right across the street"...are these the tram numbers or the tram stop number? I looked at the link and if these numbers are the tram number, I certainly can't find it. Any explanation or clarification is highly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus and Tram Stops

Hey Beenthere,

No worries about the street names....I'm not the sharpest tool in the drawer, and I have yet to remain lost for long!

The 4 and 6 trams are the number of the trams. Don't worry about which one you get on, both run the same route for 95% of the line (they alter in district XI on the Buda side which you'll likely never be.

All kidding aside, it's easier than it looks. You can purchase your multi-day pass at Blaha Ljuza which is out your hotel door to the left about 10ish minutes (you'll see the major intersection - the ticket window is next to the entrance of the metro below the street).

Here's another site that will give you an overview. budapest-tourist-guide.com/travel-in-budapes… Again - the good news about all of the transport options, is that eventually they will return you to where you boarded! :)

Have confidence!

Edited: 26 January 2012, 22:01
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
908 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus and Tram Stops

There's a value and joy in getting lost; it's where you discover great finds among the unbeaten path!

Multi-day pass --- is that a better deal than a 10-ticket book? Since we won't be consistently on public transports; my husband and I can share the book of 10.

From my previous travels, I found riding the metro of Paris and London are fairly easy (but only after I got there and familiarize myself with all I've read and learned from various sources like TA's experts). Budapest wouldn't be all that different, I think.

Thank you so much. Any tips, tricks and even hand-holding is much appreciated. :)

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus and Tram Stops

Hey again beenthere,

A few tips for your visit:

- DO walk the "back" streets and neighborhoods of central Budapest. There is some wonderful architecture and history.

- Concerning 10-ticket book question. I'd go with the pass. 10 tickets will get you and your husband only 5 one-way trips. They will be all used on your first day. How long is your stay? (This may change my thoughts)

- Take advantage of Bock Bistro. This great Hungarian eatery is connected to the Corinthia and is worth a stop. May want to make reservations just in case.

- Want a great dinner stop? Try Comme Chez Soi - see reviews on TA, of which a couple I have written. Make reservations and say hello to Roberto (the proprietor) for me. Try the foie gras and apple for appetizer. Mouth-watering good.

- Ride the #2 tram

- Have a walk in the castle district, especially the "backside" (away from the river). This area is peaceful, fresh air and makes a scenic walk overlooking the hills of Buda. A nice escape for 30ish minutes.

- Visit the Great Market Hall at the southern end of Vaci utca. Visit in the mornings when the action is lively. This is old School Europe that you likely won't find in California or many parts of the States (never was in Chicago!)

- Take a one-hour boat ride in the late afternoon. As the shadows get long and the sun fades, this city becomes more inspiring. Budapest's main attractions along the river (I.e., parliament, palace, Gellert hill, Chain Bridge, etc.) are lit up - and they are marvelous to look at. Especially from a seat on a peaceful boat ride away from the mass and noise of the city.

And bring your walking shoes. Explore and enjoy. Have a great time.

Jeremy

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus and Tram Stops

Only you can judge if Multi-day pass is a better deal than 10-ticket books, all depends on how much you ride and how long you stay.

24-hour card equals about 5 trips

72-hour card equals about 13 trips

7-day card equals about 16 trips

One advantage of Multi-day pass is that you don't have to worry about validating tickets correctly. Just show the pass when prompted by ticket inspector at entrance or on bus/tram.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus and Tram Stops

I've been mulling over addng to this thread since it came up.

Personally, I'd go for appropriate travel cards. (Choose whichever ones fit your time frame best.)

Reasons:

1) Except for the Metro exchange at Deak ter, you need a new ticket every time you change. (And at Deak ter, the single ticket only applies for a change from one Metro route to another - not from the Metro to a tram or bus or vice versa.

2) The city is quite spread out in comparison to a lot of others. As a result , it can take a fair amount of time to get from one site to another by walking. While some walks are great and to be recommended, others could well be tedious (or tiring).

3) While Pest is flat, Buda definitely is not.

4) There are times when the stamping machines in buses and trams don't 'quite' work. They are also of diffferent vintages and modes of operation, so getting your ticket properly stamped can be 'interesting.'

It's therefore very easy to use up a whole 10 ticket book very quickly. If you have done that and need another ticket to get to somewhere or other, the options become quite limited.

1) A number of tram stops do not have any ticket dispensers. (No bus stops do.) If the tram stop does have one, the chances are good that it will be a) out of order); b) require exact change; c) something else .

2) Regardless of claims by the BKV, I've never seen a bus or tram driver who would allow one to buy a ticket on entrance.

Hence, 'hop on' something in public transport always requires a valid ticket before doing so. An appropriate travel card (one for each of you) solves that problem for its time of validity, and gives you freedon just to see parts of the city you might not otherwise do. (Like the #2 tram on the E side of the Danube, or the #19 (I think, but it could be the #18) on the W side. The #4 and #6 trams both go over the bridges connecting Buda and Pest to Margits Island (sp). The #47 and #49 ones go from Deak ter go to fovam terr (Great Market Hall) and to Kalvin ter (Nemzeti - National - Museum). The #16 bus goes from Erzebet ter (right by Deak ter) up to the Castle distirct with a stop by the Mathias Templom and Fisherman's bastion. Getting to Citadelle is a bit more complicated. Point is that one can indeed get almost everywhere on public transport.

I sympathise with the names of the stops. However, most of the places you'll likely want to go to are 'landmark' places. Find some pictures of them, and when you see one in the near view, get off at the next stop. If you overshoot it, get off and get the return to the one you should have used. If yu undershoot it, just wait for the next.

Directions of travel are the same as the US. (Drive on the right.) So buses will appear from your left. Trams have a double set of tracks in the middle of the street but the same rule applies. Look to your left for the tram you want and be on the proper side for it.

Hope that helps a bit.

OTOH, a travel card valid for the time you're using it gets rid of all of this.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,195 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus and Tram Stops

By travel card do you mean a Budapest card? We will be wanting to visit galleries etc and I believe it gives some discount on that? We will be there from Friday evening (when we probably won't explore much apart from finding dinner) to early afternoon on Monday so would a three day pass be the best deal?

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus and Tram Stops

The discounts on the Budapest Card are typically not a lot, so the extra cost isn't worth it. (IMHO)

The 3-day (72 hr) travel card would do things fine. (3850 fts) Note that the 48-hr Budapest card is 6900 fts, and the 72 hr one is 8300 fts. If you get in early enough to get one on F (before 8 PM), it would go until the same time on M.

bkv.hu/en/types_of_tickets_offered_for_touri…

You will need to get to a sales point to get one, but that's basically any Metro stop.

FYI, I use these all the time.