We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24-hour group travel card

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
146 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
24-hour group travel card

This seems relatively new (?), as it don't see it mentioned anywhere but on BKV's own website.

Can anyone confirm that we are not required to identify the number of travelers. It seems to have the same 4 boxes to fill out as the individual travel card.

The card is for a group of 2-5, and I am hoping that if 5 of us use it early in the day, it could also be used later in the day if just 2 or 3 of us want to go out.

bkv.hu/en/…budapest_24_hour_group_travel_card

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24-hour group travel card

It says "at least 2" but it seems to be a bargan if you have 5 on it and you are going to do some intensive sight seeing. That would work out to 600 HUF each for 24 hours? If you get on the metro twice you break even compared to individual tickets. Of course you have to buy a new one every day and that might get old if you are staying several days.

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 24-hour group travel card

My Apologies, that was commentary and not much help.

Edited: 06 February 2012, 18:12
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
146 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24-hour group travel card

Still, I appreciate the commentary. We will have a group of 5 and it seems to be priced as if it were a "pay for 2, get 3 more free" pass. 5 for the price of 2.

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 24-hour group travel card

And you are doing a good thing. Trying to keep a group of 5 together on the sidewalks for long hauls can be a little difficult. The metro is amazingly simple and efficient. Have fun.

Oh, one other thing this being just one card it eliminates a big problem. You are going to have to show the card (really thin paper) every time you enter the metro and every time you are checked on the trams. When I have guests or with my children, each with an individual card, I make them wear it in a clear badge holder on a neck lanyard. When they get embarrassed they tuck it in their shirt and hide it. But I’m not stuck waiting on a group of people to figure out which pocket they crammed it in or where they lost it when they pulled change out of their pockets. The convenience of the group ticket alone is worth something. .

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,958 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 24-hour group travel card

Yes it is new. And yes you can use it as you describe you want to. The trick us that when checked, the person holding the card can identify up to 4 people immediately around them as co-travelers. Can be fewer. That's it, you don't need to stay together but if you split up, only one person has the card.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
96 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 24-hour group travel card

I have a question that maybe someone can answer because it is not clear on the BKV website (English version). "Valid for 24 hours from the indicated date and time (month, day, hour, minute) for unlimited number of trips on BKV... You can buy it in advance."

If I purchase 3 of the 24-hour travel cards on my morning of arrival, how, when and where are each of the cards validated? It used to be that the 3-day and 7-day cards were validated at the ticket window when purchased.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,958 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 24-hour group travel card

They don't have to be validated at time of purchase; or you can have them validated when you buy them, for three successive dates. The toughest part may be the communication. You will want to convey "1 now, 1 tomorrow, 1 the next day" ... shouldn't be a problem but how you solve it will depend on circumstances I'd guess (the first one being whether the cashier speaks any English...or you any Hungarian).

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 24-hour group travel card

John is right. One can buy then in advance,

Personallly, I make out a file card with the required info on it.

Type of ticket, date on start, time of start (If a 24 hr or 72 hr one), cost.

I hand this over to the cashier, and things always seem to come out right.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
80 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 24-hour group travel card

We just came back from Budapest and we were told about this group card by the ticket window person when we were trying to buy 6 day tickets. It is a great value.

Frankfurt, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: 24-hour group travel card

This 24-hour group travel card, is it can be use also for furnicular?