We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest Transit Questions

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
Budapest Transit Questions

I will be arriving by Eurolines bus at BUDAPEST, NÉPLIGET terminal at 1355 on 13 April. I am staying at the Hilton Budapest Westend, and it appears that is only 12 minutes away on the M-3 line. I have two questions for the forum: first, how close is the bus terminal to the metro terminal, and second, will I be able to buy a seven day transit pass at the metro terminal using a credit card? Thanks in advance.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest Transit Questions

Really close, about 100-200 yards.

You can pay by card anywhere.

bkv.hu/en/…payment_by_bank_card

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest Transit Questions

Hi Robert,

As mingliu noted, basically the metro station is located under the bus station...so it's right there. Concerning credit card......I'd want to hear it from someone that has experience at that specific station as BKV does not accept credit cards in every station.

I would assume this station would accept cards, and if so you will be able to purchase a multi-day pass (I think there is only the 14 day card now). Worst case, pull some money out of an ATM (which also should be located at the station) and pay with cash. The BKV site indicates a 14-day pass is 6,500HuF.

Enjoy.

Jeremy

Edited: 15 February 2012, 05:46
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,708 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest Transit Questions

Jeremy, Are you sure?

I'm staring at the BKV site right now. Under 'for tourists.' I see a 24 hr travel card (1550 frs), a 24-hr group tracel card (tc in future) @ 3100 fts, a 72hr tc @ 3850 fts and a 7-day tc @ 4600 fts. Plus, of course, the individual tickets, 10-ticket book and the assorted Budapest cards.

Maybe the confusion is coming because of the difference between what the BKV calls a 'pass' and what it calls a 'card?"

I would definitely agree that one should not depend on being able to use a CC. (Last November, they wouldn't accept one at Deak ter. I wasn't really very interested in that aside from the claim that CC's are accepted.)

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest Transit Questions

Thanks Liz.

I looked here on BKV's site www.bkv.hu/en/14_day_and_monthly_passes that only lists the 14 day pass. However, oddone is correct and I am wrong.

For whatever reason (poor English likely) BKV defines passes, tickets and travel cards independently. See this page for the right information - http://www.bkv.hu/en/travel_cards

Apologies - and thanks Liz.

Jeremy

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,708 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest Transit Questions

And thank you, Jeremy.

I somewhat panicked when I read your post, as I usually take a couple of multi-day trips otside of Budapest and end up with three separate travel cards. Getting 2 (or 3) 14 day passes instead would double (or treble )my 'cost.' Hence my immediate attempt to verify.

OTOH, the BKV has been known (at least twice during the time I've been visiting Budapest) to put up a new website without taking down the old one, so my 'bookmarked' site might not be the current one and I was looking at something that had been superceded... (Yikes!) I greatly appreciate your checking on this.

Yes, the BKV does seem to have a problem with defining "ticket,' 'card' and 'pass.' The addition of the tab 'for tourists' is a great improvement over previous information. It eliminates a lot of the outraged claims of 'scams' on the BKV beause of the rules on changing from one thing to another.

So thanks again for checking that I was indeed looking at the correct website and for the info .

Liz

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest Transit Questions

Thank you for your responses. Probably my mistake but I used the word “pass” on purpose to avoid any confusion with the Budapest “card.”

One other question. Can anyone tell me the quality/value of the folklore shows put on by Hungária Koncert at the Duna Palota? I notice there is one on the Saturday night during my visit.

7. Re: Budapest Transit Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:01