We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport System

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Transport System

Hi, me and my girlfriend are planning to visit Budapest in the summer for two weeks, is it possible to purchase a 14 day travel pass and how do you validate them? We are planning on using Budapest as a base and travel to Bratislava and maybe a resort by lake balaton for a day or two. Are there any other recommendations for places we could visit using Budapest as a base?

Many Thanks

Mark

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport System

Eger. Great little city with lots to do, including drinking the local wines. It's accessible by train or by rental car.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport System

I believe that a 14 day travel pass is available on the BKV. That is for transport within the city limits of Budapest only.

Look at the following:

bkv.hu/en/…14_day_budapest_pass

However, if you want to spend some overnight stays outside of Budapest, I'd also look at the following (also on the BKV site);

bkv.hu/en/types_of_tickets_offered_for_touri… (Particularly the travel cards).

Neither of these include any train or buses outside of Budapest.

Eger can be a day trip by train or bus from Budapest. So can Visegrad, Goddolo, and Ezstergon in addition to Szentendre. (sp?) These can all be reached by train.

Day trips to Vienna and Bratislava (again by train) can also be done, but the time you'd have in each would definitely be limited.

Balaton is sort of possible on a day trip, but again - very limited time.

Think about an overnight trip in the middle of your stay. (Possibly 2 nights in order to have a full day in each.). My own favorites for that are Pecs and Sopron.

3. Re: Transport System

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2013, 10:29