We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free Budapest Walking Tours

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,180 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Free Budapest Walking Tours

A few poeple sent PM's asking about this tour company so I thought I'd put this here instead of replying separately.

http://www.triptobudapest.hu/

We did the General tour very soon after arriving and we thought it was a good way to get acquainted with the city and some of its history and architecture. There is a morning and an afternoon tour both of which are approx 3 hours long which was just about right for us. The tour of the Jewish Quarter, which we did later in the stay, included a stop at one of the ruined pubs where we bought drinks and could use the bathroom, but the general tour did not. We liked the fact that the tour spent time on both sides of the river, rather than doing a Buda genral tour and a separate Pest general tour. And it was easy to find the starting point and the tour guide as opposed to other tours leaving from the same area.

There were about 3 - 4 dozen people in the tour and the guide's strategy was to walk for a while pointing out a few things, but then to stop, have the people gather 'round her, and then go into more detail about where we were. If convenient, she stood on a bench so that her voice carried batter, and we never had a problem hearing what she was saying.

In addition to describing the city, the tour guide also tried to teach us a few owrds of Magyar at one stop, gave her suggestions of which baths to visit, and a few of her favorite places to have dinner. And she was available afterwards in case people had any other questions. I think most of the people appreciated all of this information.

The tour is free and if you started it and felt it was not for you, you could simply walk away, hopefully telling the guide. There is a suggested tip which we paid and which came out to be approx US $10.00 (We were using 200 / 1 florints to dollars while in Budapest, just as an approximation as to what things cost) $10.00 for this tour struck us as a bargain. (In Paris there is a series of very good Paris Walks which are similar, but these cost 10 euros, approx $14.00, and do not last as long)

We would do this tour again on our next trip, and probably the Communist tour as well.

hth

Pjk

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free Budapest Walking Tours

Pjk: You should cut and paste this into a Traveler's Article.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,180 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free Budapest Walking Tours

I realized after I had finished that I could add a few photos and simply put it into a review. It should be out in a week.

Thanks!

Pjk

Edited: 16 February 2012, 17:34
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free Budapest Walking Tours

While I realize some people think Travel Articles are ignored, I have found it is easier and quicker to get the info an OP seeks that way rather than doing a key word search on the open forum. Why not put your article in both? It is so easy for me to cut and paste or even just link the whole page depending on the amount of info requested. Of course, I always give credit and thanks to the author.

Sherman, TX
Level Contributor
939 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free Budapest Walking Tours

The travel articles that you refer to....are they on TripAdvisor?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free Budapest Walking Tours

Yes they are. If for instance you know someone has written something on a topic, rather than scroll back through dozens or hundreds of thread to find that topic and then fin that person's comment, you just click that person's picture and it will take you to all their comments, reviews and articles. Much quicker. Even if you don't know of anyone in particular, you can do a quick search and it MIGHT give you a bit of a comment, and then you can click that and then click the picture.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,180 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free Budapest Walking Tours

I'll look into putting out a travel article tomorrow. It'll give me a chance to correct those few mispelling.

Pjk

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free Budapest Walking Tours

Thank you for sharing this, it is exactly what I was looking for.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free Budapest Walking Tours

OK - I'm one of those people who does not write Travel Articles. Reasons?

1) If they contain any prices, times, availability, etc, they will need to be updated regularly. There are some dating back to 2006 with 2006 prices. Also changes in transport, establishments that are closed, etc, etc, etc.

2) Anyone on TA can edit them to his/her heart's desire whenever he/she so chooses. Another forum I used to post on had this problem. The original - and correct - info was changed (almost daily ) into something entirely different and totally incorrect.

Yes, one can roll back the corrections and 'recorrect' or just generally correct info. In the 'recorrect' case, don't be surprised if it's changed again in 24 hrs.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,618 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Free Budapest Walking Tours

Note that there are two different free walking tour groups (i gather they started as one and spun apart).

There is a huge amount of confusion between the two of them, and I can't keep them straight. The other is at:

http://www.freebudapesttours.hu/

The Articles situation is a tad confused and confusing and I'm not sure I'd add a fourth one (there's one on tours generally, and two that for some reason lead one to pretty much no information about this second company; adding a fourth article that lead one to information about the first company would leave me totally flummoxed if i were trying to sort things out).

What really needs to happen is for someone to take both and compare them.

Or for two different people to take one each and write a detailed review like yours above.

So we have the first...anyone take http://www.freebudapesttours.hu/ and care to write in depth with price and detailed description as Pjk did? And Pjk, care to describe where the tour went?

If we can get both, then perhaps someone can edit the articles to provide useful information rather than the current muddle.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,180 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Free Budapest Walking Tours

I'll see what I can recall but I'm afraid some things will be confused with things on the Jewish Quarter walk. I know where started and ended and some of how we got there, but the in-between may be a problem. Hopefully their weg page and a map will help.

I did load the above with a few photos as a review.

Pjk