We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ins and Outs of Budapest Travel

Dayton, Ohio
7 posts
Save Topic
Ins and Outs of Budapest Travel

Hey good people,

Few questions as I'm putting together a trip to budapest.

#1) what is the best way to get from airport to hotel? We are not planning to rent a car.

#2) Because we will be using transportation, how much should we budget for this considering a 6 day stay? I have heard of the "budapest pass" which gives free access to public transportation for 48-72 hours. Is this a good option? Do most people travel via the metro and how much is it usually? I've also read about making sure you "punch in." What is that about?

#3) How much money should we have with us at any time? If we don't have enough, are we able to access it through an ATM? if so, how much is the charge? Should we exchange money once we get there? I've read about the pick-pocketing. Should we purchase those wallets that you can wear under your clothing?

#4) Is it easy to communicate with people in english?

#5) when booking tours and activites, what is the best site to use? what are some recommended tours? I have been looking at city tours, parliament tours, wine and food tours, danube dinner and cruise, etc. Any tips?

#6) Which bathes are the best to visit? Preferrably indoors and coed.

Ok, thats enough for now....thanks for any help you can give!!!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ins and Outs of Budapest Travel

Nearly everything you have asked is answered on the Top Questions at the top right of this page. Read through those and then come back with anything you are not sure of.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,049 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ins and Outs of Budapest Travel

#1) what is the best way to get from airport to hotel? We are not planning to rent a car.

--complicated question, actually that generates diverse and peckish reactions; try the Top Question for a comprehensive overview or tripadvisor.com/Travel-g274887-c169103/Budap…

#2) Because we will be using transportation, how much should we budget for this considering a 6 day stay? I have heard of the "budapest pass" which gives free access to public transportation for 48-72 hours. Is this a good option? Do most people travel via the metro and how much is it usually? I've also read about making sure you "punch in." What is that about?

-- again, donbacsi's right, check the Top Questions; general answer is negative about the Budapest Card, favorable about the regular transit passes

#3) How much money should we have with us at any time? If we don't have enough, are we able to access it through an ATM? if so, how much is the charge? Should we exchange money once we get there? I've read about the pick-pocketing. Should we purchase those wallets that you can wear under your clothing?

-- The money questions are in the Top QUestion and depend mostly on your personal situation; as to pickpocketing, you should do exactly what you would do if you were going as a tourist to NYC or Miami Beach or Chicago

#4) Is it easy to communicate with people in english?

-- Yes

#5) when booking tours and activites, what is the best site to use? what are some recommended tours? I have been looking at city tours, parliament tours, wine and food tours, danube dinner and cruise, etc. Any tips?

-- I would avoid using such a website, if there were one, which i don't think there is

#6) Which bathes are the best to visit? Preferrably indoors and coed.

I would browse www.budapestgyogyfurdoi.hu/en/node/584#

Ok, thats enough for now....thanks for any help you can give!!!

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ins and Outs of Budapest Travel

Most people speak english in Budapest, and defintiely most people in service industries and hotels. But, learn a little Magyar, it will go a long way with the locals.

So, simply take a taxi from the airport, it will be a fixed price, 5400ft, about 23$, just make sure you confirm it with the driver first. It wont be a problem.

Skip the all-in-one passes, both the touristy ones and the metro ones, You have to use them alot to get your moneys worth. The metro is fun, super cheap, use it-- you will see alot more, and will eventually tire of walking everywhere.

ATMs will charge about the same as here, about 2-3$. Basically all the same rules apply over there as here in the US, in regards to spending, carrying alot of cash, and being a obvious, ignorant tourist.

You will have a great time, Budapest is trying hard to be a fun, modern EU city and they are doing well with it. But expect beggars, shysters and the lot.

Rudas Baths are coed on Friday and Sat nights. Try the palinka and have fun! Szia!

Edited: 27 February 2012, 18:50
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,049 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ins and Outs of Budapest Travel

ATMs in budapest don't charge anything at all -- there are no fees imposed by the ATM; but your home bank may well impose fees for foreign transactions, and US banks vary widely in what they charge...so be sure you know your bank's policies if you plan to use ATMs

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
460 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ins and Outs of Budapest Travel

What is a palinka?

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,049 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ins and Outs of Budapest Travel

A high octane eau de vie or brandy, made from fruit (commonly in Hungary made from apricots -- barack palinka -- but widely available from other fruits as well). Clear in color, like grappa or framboise or pore william

Troy, Missouri
Level Contributor
94 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ins and Outs of Budapest Travel

Cherie, it is very easy to communicate with people in English. My husband and I had no issues at all but I would recommend learning a word or two of Hungarian. It seemed to break the ice when I tried to say "thank you" in Hungarian. I don't know if it's just because they appreciated the effort or because I said it so badly, lol, but it did help.

May I ask why you do not want to visit an outdoor bath? We went to an outdoor bath in December and it was magical. Seeing the steam rise up around this beautiful building is a sight to see. Plus the water feels so good because it is so cold outside. It's a great experience. Either way, though, you'll love the baths!

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ins and Outs of Budapest Travel

#1) The airport contract taxi company. Fotaxi. Hands down no competition unless you have special needs. Cheap, easy and quick.

#2) No, buy a travel card. http://www.bkv.hu/en/travel_cards

#3) Get cash at the ATMs. Use credit cards when you can. Make sure your bank doesn’t rip you on conversions and fees first. There are good cards and bad cards.

#4) Yes

#5) I like ANDREW ILLES

#6) budapestgyogyfurdoi.hu/en/szechenyi/contact#

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,829 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ins and Outs of Budapest Travel

Hungarians are only too well aware of the dificulties their language imposes on others, and are therefore appreciative if one makes the effort to learn a few words. Some helpful words might be:

Igen - yes

Nem - no

Kossonom - thankyou

Keywreck - please

Edge - one

Ketto - two

Bore - wine

Shur - beer

Kossonom saypen - thankyou very much (literally thankyou nicely)

Just like us they shorten words,

kossonom becomes kus

ketto becomes kate (kate shur, keywreck - two beers, please.

If someone thanks you for something (a waiter for a nice tip ?) say See-vesh-en, which means 'with all my heart' i.e. you're welcome.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,227 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ins and Outs of Budapest Travel

We contacted the Parliament direct and they booked us on English speaking tour, don't miss it, amazing. And look for the shoes on the riverside nearby afterwards...

We used a taxi to get us to our hotel from airport, then from hotel to OPera House as we had a tight schedule, and then asked him to meet us afterwards to get us back to Castle District for dinner as we hadn't got our bearings and it had been a long day, and the first morning to get us to the Parliament building in time for the tour. After that we walked EVERYWHERE! The Funicular came in handy to get us back up hill at the end of the day!

Gellert Baths are very impressive, and a full wellness centre there, have to check which days are mixed.

Everyone spoke English but they appreciated the 'kus'.

Palinka is definitely grappa strength!

We took £100 a day with us and came back with money, we ate fab meals with beautiful wine and it was a struggle to spend more than 10,000 HUF each.