We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best for Kids??

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best for Kids??

Aside from the beautiful sites and historical tourist spots, can anyone suggest anything that is a "must do" with children. We have 2. Ages 7 and 9. We will in Budapest from Sat - Tues at the end of April.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Culinary Hungary Home Cooking Class and Market Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Cooking Classes, Food Tours
Cold War Private Tours Budapest
Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours
Guidehungary - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Guide Hongrie
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best for Kids??

There is the Siklo, or funicular rail, that goes up to castle hill. Also, there is the Childrens' Railroad that will be beautiful that time of year.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best for Kids??

1.Margaret Island. Great place to relax. You can rent a bringohinto (a bike with four wheels)

2. City Park (Varosliget) is great place for children. You can find there: Budapest Zoo (MUST VISIT!), Ice Skating Rink / Boating Lake, Circus (Fovarosi Nagycirkusz), Szechenyi Bath (I am not sure if little children are allowed to get into hot water).

3. Palace of Wonders (Csodak Palotaja). Great fun.

4. Natural History Museum (Termeszettudomanyi Museum). Dinosaurs, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Varosliget
Varosliget
435 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Palace of Wonders
Palace of Wonders
71 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best for Kids??

USAUST4

First let me say I hear you I am the father of 5 girls 18, 16, 14 and twins that are 10

I would definetely recommend the Zoo in the city park it is truley world class. While ther spend a few hours at the Szechenyi Bath or just simply walking around the park seeing the castle

Agreed the Childrens railroad as is the Palace of Wonders both good fun

One more thing I did with the girls which was alot a fun and kind of unique was having there own Hungarian stamps made at the post office. They all loved it from the oldest to the youngest and the thrill of seeing there picture on a stamp was quite cool especially when their freinds at home got the postcards with the stamps on them. I hate to admit it but they insisted the old man get his too it was so funny when my mothert-in-law got her postcard with me staring up at her she still laughs about it.

Here is the link so you can decide ...

http://posta.hu/english/stamps/your_own_stamp

Enjoy your trip

Mentioned in this post
Palace of Wonders
Palace of Wonders
71 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best for Kids??

Hi USAUST4,

I second the Zoo - it's pretty nice with a nice petting zoo (inside to the left). http://www.zoobudapest.com/english And Margit Island is great on a nice day to enjoy a walk and rent a 4-person pedal-cart to explore the island. There is also a small petting zoo with horses, ducks and other animals. It is on the island on the "Pest" side if you will.

I also suggest looking at the chair lift - that can then get you close to the Children's Railway Donbasci suggested above. budapestindex.com/going-out/…chairlift and www.gyermekvasut.hu/english/chrw_home.php

They may also enjoy riding the trams (seriously). Tram #2 takes you along a very scenic path along the river on the Pest side. Sights will include the parliament, castle, multiple bridges, etc.

I think you have a solid list started.

Enjoy.

Jeremy

Mentioned in this post
Children's Railway, Budapest
Children's Railway...
533 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Melbourne...
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best for Kids??

Thank you everyone! We only have a few days so we'll only get to see a very small bit of a new country, but we'll do it!!

Considering the suggestions on the Zoo, Castle and Rail, where should we stay? I'm thinking close to zoo? Is the zoo close enough to everything? We will be 4 adults and two kids....taking the grandparents too! Not on a shoestring, but don't need 5 star.

Thanks!!!

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best for Kids??

Budapest Zoo is in City Park. You can find it easily.

Public transport: Metro line 1 (the 'yellow line') from Deák Tér to Széchenyi Fürdő station. Zoo is close to Szechenyi Bath. Just 10 mins.

Or you can walk along Andrassy Út. The end of Andrassy is Heroes Square, and the City Park is behind Heroes Square (which is worth to visit as well).

Mentioned in this post
Heroes' Square
Heroes' Square
9,568 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best for Kids??

And, yes, City Park is not far from historical city center. If you stay somewhere in district V or VI, it would be OK for you.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best for Kids??

I also recommend you Füvészkert to visit (ELTE Botanic Garden).

Lovely botanic garden, palm house, etc.

It is in district VIII, but it is nice.

1083 Budapest, Illés u. 25.

http://www.fuveszkert.org/elerhetosegeink/

Check the map.

From Deák Tér you must change to metro line 3, and go to Klinikák station. The botanic garden is in Illés utca (Illés street).

Edited: 26 February 2012, 10:22
Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best for Kids??

Sorry, I mean Zoo is 10 mins from Deák Tér. Actually, it is NEXT to Szechenyi Bath.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best for Kids??

Thanks everyone!