We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visting Budapest this weekend

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Visting Budapest this weekend

Hi

We are arriving in Budapest on Thursday, staying in Pest. First visit to Budapest - can anyone tell me the places we really must visit, and also good places to go and eat and drink ..... not really into having a 3 course meal so looking for bars/pubs that do food/drink at reasonable prices.

Also can someone update us on the weather situation, the sort of temperature we can expect, whether we just need umbrellas, or thermals or both Lol ...... We can do cold we live in Wales, UK !!!

Cheers

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visting Budapest this weekend

And now...for the weather:

http://www.idokep.hu/

http://www.idokep.hu/szel

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visting Budapest this weekend

You wont get much response on the "tell me everything" posts. You will get better feed back with specific questions about specific issues, venues, sights etc. For the broad picture a guide book is better.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,048 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visting Budapest this weekend

I took the Eyewitness guide, excellent map in it. It is a new book but left out a few things (I will be contacting them). We arrived Friday night and left Monday lunchtime and did: Ballet at Opera House Friday night, Parliament Buildings Tour Saturday morning, followed by brisk walk to Central Market before it closed at 2pm, had lunch there. In afternoon headed up to Museum of Applied Arts, a lot of work going on there, but what we saw wal well worth it, had a look at Vaci Street, then walked over Chain Bridge to Gellert Hotel to look at baths - couldn't see a huge lot and the Espresso cafe a bit of an old place...Rock Church was closed for a service, then -we were staying in Castle District- up Funicular to get back up there.

Sunday we walked to Heroes Square, visited Fine Arts Gallery and the one opposite, walked back along Andrassy to have afternoon tea at Lukacs, then St Stephens Basilica, then on to see The Shoes. Back to Chain Bridge and Funicular (900 HUF well spent), tour of underground hospital.

Stayed in Castle District for last morning, walked round walls, St Mathias Church (undergoing refurbishment) and a look round. Fishermans Bastion is amazing in day or evening, Hilton Hotel does good cocktails but the view from the bar is impeded. I would recommend all the above apart from probably the Gellert, they need to get their act together.

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visting Budapest this weekend

I like the Eyewitness Guide a lot too. It isnt as deep as some of the others but it is incrediably easy to use and the route and map and town area graphics are the best.

5. Re: Visting Budapest this weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 19:56