We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants near the Kempinski

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Venice, FL
Level Contributor
134 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants near the Kempinski

We love to sample the local cuisine while traveling. Where should we definitely eat at for true Hungarian food for dinner or lunch within walking distance of the Kempinski. We are good walkers so 1/2 to 1 mile is no problem for us. We will probalby be exploring by foot most of the time and catch buses/trams other times.

We also love to eat a pastry and have a cup of coffee for breakfast, so which 2 coffee houses would you recommend.

Thanks for your reply

Cheryl

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,883 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants near the Kempinski

Cheryl,

Breakfast is a no-brainier. Try Gerloczy Cafe about a 5 minute walk from the Kempinkski. Hungarian dinner/lunch? Examine Klassz, Cafe Kor, and Bock Bisztro. All have websites and are reviewed here on TA so you can see others thoughts and not just mine.

Enjoy,

Jeremy

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,478 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants near the Kempinski

Start with the fact that the Kempinski Sunday bunch is, as a matter of food, probably the best in the city and does a very good job on other Hungarian and German dishes. And Nobu in the hotel is an extremely good Japanese option.

But you want traditional Hungarian food in walking distance of the K...

The Gerloczy does a very good job on Hungarian she's as well (and pretty much everything it does is good) but their range of hungarian dishes is limited at an given time. Add the Castro Bsztro for excellent gulyas and other sups, Szazeves for touristy but very well made classic mainstream hungarian dishes in a kitschy but welcoming setting, and Alfoldi Vendeglo for fish soup. I have had mixed reactions to the Cafe Central since ownership changed, but it's still a pleasant place to go and I have had one good meal (out of two) since the hang.

Focusing still on Hungarian dishes, the menu at Klassz is hard to beat in terms f quality but really nt traditional at all, I think Jeremy would agree. Cafe Kor is consistently solid classic austro-hungarian food, and it is swithin a walk. I ave had real service problems there and consistently prefer Cafe Bouchon (started almost a dcde ago now by staff from Kor who wanted similar cuisine in a more laid back setting)., but Bouchon is a longish walk -- about 15-20 mintes?

Headed further afield, consider Kadar Etkezde for a lunch and Szentkiraly Jupat in Buda, or Pozsonyi Kisvendeglo in th XIIIth.

For pastry and a up of coffee in the morning, don't miss the Auguszt Cukraszda, n Kossuth Lajos, an easy walk, consider standing up at the Jeg Bufe, at the point where Petofi Utca goes under Kossuth Lajos, and insider breakfast in the restaurant of the Meridien...or walk another 5 minutes or so to go to he Cafe Alibi, or the branch of Viand in Gozsdu Udvar. The Alibi in particular is a special place in terms of vibe and keen cafe spirit.

If google and TA make any of gese hard to find or obscure, come back for detail...

Venice, FL
Level Contributor
134 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants near the Kempinski

Wow so many options. Thank you both so much.

My grandmother is actually Austro Hungarian so I want to see if the restaurants serve specialities like my grandma used to make. She was born in Wolfau Austria, but at the time of her birth it was part of Hungary. Wolfau had another name at that time. We are going to visit relatives in Burgenland and Stiermark too.

Again, thank you all for your time giving me so many nice choices.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants near the Kempinski

One small exception to John's detailed post. I don't know what he means by Szazeves being "kitschy." It is in a building that has been occupied since the 1600's, and it hase been a restaurant since 1831. I have even managed to get down into the kitchen and seen them cooking with utensiles that I have seen in museums. This is a pretty authentic place, and since they have been at it so long, I have to believe they are doing something right. I would recommend the fogas, a fish you will find nowhere else in the world. And, in your case, try the Beci Szelet (Wiener Schitzle). Go, listen to the violins in your ear, enjoy.

5. Re: Restaurants near the Kempinski

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:17