We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving at Keliti - Taxi Questions

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Venice, FL
Level Contributor
134 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving at Keliti - Taxi Questions

I have read tons of information about the taxi situation at the train station. Some of it was conflicting so I am confused.

We decided to take a train ride from Krakow instead of flying.

We will arrive around 3 in the afternoon.

Most reports say to call when you arrive for a taxi and either City Taxi or Fo Taxi. I read where there are no phone booths at the train station. If there are phone booths, what is the # for City Taxi, how much change do I need? We will be getting Forints at an ATM in the train station hopefully. Is there somewhere we can cash some paper money for change for the phone and what denomination do we need.

Is there an ATM that is a major bank ATM? Do you trust the ATM that is in the train station?

Now the easiest thing would be if I can reserve a taxi with either of them on line before hand. Is this possible.

We are staying at Hotel Senacki. How much should a taxi cost us.

Also, can we buy a 72 hour transporation pass at the train station and would it be possible to use it on a subway to get to our hotel?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to get all my ducks in a row so to speak.

Thanks for your help

Cheryl

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving at Keliti - Taxi Questions

First, bring your cell phone from home. Make sure it is a GSM tri or quad phone that will work in Europe (most are these days). Google City Taxi for the number i don't have it handy right now. Call when the train arrives at the station. Its not that hard and despite the hassles with the independent drivers around the train station nothing about the situation is dangerous. Until you get to an ATM you can charge the ride. Tell the City Taxi dispatcher that that is what you want to do. The taxi may even take dollars or euro at bad exchange but at most you will only loose a few bucks in the process.

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving at Keliti - Taxi Questions

City Taxi

http://www.citytaxi.hu/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving at Keliti - Taxi Questions

At Keleti there are a few cash change shops, but of course the exchange rates are extremely poor compared to elsewhere. Maybe just change a small amount, enough to get you to your hotel first (e.g. US$10).

If you have a decent amount of luggage on you, I wouldn't really recommend using the Budapest metro to get to/from your hotel - the escalators are quite fast and steep! Taxis are pretty cheap (if you don't get bitten by the Budapest taxi sharks), so it's worth it IMO.

Thought I'd share my recent experience. I spotted a local person exit a taxi belonging to one of the bigger companies, so I approached the driver and asked what he'd charge to get to my hotel (Bohem Art, downtown in District V). He quoted 1200Ft (=US$5.40) for the 10- to 12-minute ride, and he even stopped the meter when it was about to exceed 1200. I called the same company for my return to Keleti a few days later, and it cost about the same- can recommend. It was Taxi2000 (www.taxi2000.hu/index.php?oldal=prices&), their number is +36 1 2 000 000, and the dispatchers seem to speak good English. But yes, I've also heard that Fo and City Taxi are reliable too, so you have plenty of choice.

Do check the name of your Budapest hotel again - Hotel Senacki seems to be in Krakow, not Budapest!

Edited: 22 March 2012, 03:13
USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving at Keliti - Taxi Questions

Taxi2000 is good as are most of the others.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,879 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving at Keliti - Taxi Questions

Hi Cheryl,

My thoughts on your questions:

1. What I might suggest - if you are able - to walk out of the front of the station - and walk about 400 yards to the Best Western Hotel which sits straight ahead (on the other side of the over pass). Here you can have them call you a specific taxi. I use City Taxi and have for a decade+ (+36.1.211.1111). They accept credit card including Amex, so no need for cash.

2. The hotel you referenced is in Krakow versus Budapest. Advise your location (or neighborhood) you are staying here and we can offer an estimate, as well as a public transportation route from Keleti.

3. I would suggest purchasing a multi-day Public Transportation pass. The system is expansive here and can get you most anywhere. Be sure to take a round trip on the #2 tram that ruins along the river on the Pest side. You can purchase these in Keleti close to the metro entrance - and you can use credit card.

Hope this helps align some of your ducks......

Jeremy

Venice, FL
Level Contributor
134 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving at Keliti - Taxi Questions

Jeremy you are wonderful. We won't have any really large luggage. Just a medium on wheels each. Walking across the street to the Best Western is perfect.

Sorry about the hotel, we are staying at the Kempenski. Got my hotels mixed up.

We will still have Euros on us because we start our trip in Berlin and finally end in Vienna. It's great that we can charge our trip. We will have a Visa card with us.

We will get our 72 hours pass at the station along with our train tickets to Hartburg, Austria. So yes all of our ducks will be in a row, thanks to you and others on Trip Advisor.

This is an extensive trip for us going by train and all the hotels, etc. Visiting relatives in Berlin and Hartburg is the highlight for us along with seeing Krakow and Budapest which we have never been to.

We always called my late grandmother a gypsie since she was actually born in Wolfau, Austria which was part of Hungary when she was born.

Can't wait to sample the food to see if it is anything like what she used to make us.

Again, thanks everyone for your help.

Cheryl

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving at Keliti - Taxi Questions

The currency in Hungary is the forint, not the euro.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving at Keliti - Taxi Questions

The currency in Hungary is the forint, not the euro.

Venice, FL
Level Contributor
134 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving at Keliti - Taxi Questions

Yep I know it is the Forint, Just saying I would have Euros if I had to use them even though exchange rate would not be very good. That would due until I get to an ATM and get my Forints.

Thanks for letting me know

10. Re: Arriving at Keliti - Taxi Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 14:18