We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Budapest to Vienna

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
288 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Budapest to Vienna

I am planning on travelling from Budapest to Vienna in mid-May by train. I will be in Budapest for 3 nights. Should I purchase my train ticket once I arrive to Budapest or online before I leave? Am I even able to purchase online??

thanks

308 replies to this topic
Prague, Czech...
1 post
Save Reply
121. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

Hi all,

does anybody have experience with splitting tickets from Budapest to Vienna via Gyor and buying two separate ones Budapest-Gyor, Gyor-Vienna for the same train?

The point being that on-line tickets for the full trip are sold out while those from Gyor are still available. I wonder if there are any possible obstacles..

Thank you.

Lichfield, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
122. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

I want to go by train from Budapest to Salzburg on Monday July 7th. I want to stop off in Vienna for a few hours on the way to meet some friends. It is the same train line Budapest – Vienna – Salzburg.

According to the Hungarian trains website (MAV) the first train is at 1:10 pm. I remember reading somewhere that there are lots of trains from Budapest to Vienna but the MAV website is very unreliable. Is this true?

When I looked at the Austrian trains website (OEBB.at) there are earlier trains from Budapest to Salzburg. There is a direct train from Budapest Keleti at 9:10 am arriving Vienna Meidling at 11:57 am, however the website says that this is not available.

The earlier OEBB train is at 8:10 am (Budapest, Keleti) arriving at Vienna HBF at 11:28 am. This involves two changes. One of the changes is 12 minutes, the other is only 6 minutes. My impression is that this is too close for comfort and I should forget about this option because of possible delays with the trains.

There are two earlier OEBB trains at 7:15 am and 7:25 pm but the website says that tickets are not available for these trains either.

Does anyone have any experience of booking MAV (Hungarian trains) tickets from Budapest to Vienna? Can I leave it till I arrive in Budapest? I will be there for 3-4 days beforehand.

I presume that I will need separate tickets for Budapest to Vienna and Vienna to Salzburg. I will be in Vienna for 3-4 hours at most. Is there any point in trying to book this online before I go? I presume that I can only book this with Austrian trains (OEBB) rather than Hungarian (MAV).

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
123. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

@Brian D

You have left it too late to be able to buy the €13 discounted ticket since it seems there is only availability for the 1:10pm train as you mentioned.

Try this method input your data on the MAV site using 2nd class seats and this time purchase a return ticket say for the 10th regardless of whether or not you will use it. You will be able to get a bunch of earlier train options to choose from at €29 for your desired train. Or you can just buy them the day you travel for that price too since the trains will not sell out ..... it is up to you

In Vienna for your journey onto Salzburg just us the Westbahn trains which you pay a fixed fare of €23.90 for even if you pay on the train on the day. So I would suggest just paying on the train. You can see their timetable here https:/…2014-07-7

Hope this helped you out.

SEBESZ

Edited: 21 June 2014, 16:00
3 posts
Save Reply
124. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

Hi, I would like to travel to vienna from budapest on coming 29 July 2014.

I have using the budapest train website to purchase the train ticket for 3 person.

http://www.mav-start.hu/english/index.php ( The website)

But the webiste show me that :No offer available for the journey with these conditions. For the list of available offers click here.

Can anyone guide me? Thank you so much ;)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
28 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
125. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

read previous posts - the question has been answered

we purchased the tickets 60 days in advance from the MAV website and received the Eur13 price

you may be too late for this price on 29 July, but there will be other options as others have posted

3 posts
Save Reply
126. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

I have checked the price is 13 euro.

I need to purchase 3 of the tickets but when I click for 3 tickets, the website show me :No offer available for the journey with these conditions. For the list of available offers click here.

But if i click for 2 tickets there is available offer for me. I have no idea what is going on.

Can I purchase the ticket separately?

Thank you for guide me. appreciate.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,014 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
127. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

The number of €13 tickets is limited per train, so you have probably got the last two. After this there are unlimited numbers of standard-priced tickets. You should therefore buy these discounted tickets while you can, and for third ticket you should separately buy a RETURN ticket, specifying a return date on the following day - this costs €29 and can be used on any train. You don't need to use the return section. You can also buy this ticket on the day of travel.

3 posts
Save Reply
128. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

Thank you for your information GCEK.

That's means the third ticket I should buy as RETURN ticket?

Can I just buy one more ticket other to buy a RETURN ticket?

Thank you so much.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,014 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
129. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

Yes, the third ticket should be a next day return which costs €29 - it is cheaper than the single which is €39 or thereabouts.

You put the two €13 tickets in the shopping cart and then start the process again

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
57 reviews
Save Reply
130. Re: Train from Budapest to Vienna

Thanks for this!

Reply to: Train from Budapest to Vienna
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted