We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Reservations Budapest to Kosice

Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Train Reservations Budapest to Kosice

We are planning on taking the 6:30 am direct train from Budapest to Kosice on a Wednesday morning in May. Can we purchase tickets online from home (US), or can we purchase them in Budapest a day or two prior to our train travel? What's the best option for getting the lowest price?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
146 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Reservations Budapest to Kosice

You can definitely purchase them in Budapest a day or two prior. At any of the major stations (Deli, Keleti, Nyugati) you will see many ticket windows and at least one will have the word "nemzetkozi", which means "international."

If you will be returning to Budapest, purchase the roundtrip tickets at that point, rather than planning on one-way tickets, because there is a promotional rate...20 euros, I believe. You will be able to pay with cash or CC.

Also note the Hungarian word for Kosice is Kassa (kash-sha). Although when I have purchased these same tickets to Kassa, the Hungarian cashiers call it Kosice...so I'm sure either is understood.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,085 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Reservations Budapest to Kosice

You can even buy it on the day - tickets on this train are unlimited in number and yes - return ticket is cheaper than a single, so get a return even if you are not returning.

Make sure you pronounce Košice correctly to avoid confusion - you probably know already, but just in case it is approximately COSH-EATS-UH. Best of all, just write it down :)

Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Reservations Budapest to Kosice

Thanks for the helpful hints. We're also considering possibly taking the 18:30 evening train. I've heard that it's best to avoid night trains, but this doesn't seem that late. Is it still a safe alternative?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,085 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Reservations Budapest to Kosice

It is perfectly safe - this is a civilised part of the world :)

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,708 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Reservations Budapest to Kosice

I agree with GCEK's last message. I think I would have a hotel booked and warned of late arrival. I'd also see if the hotel could arrange a taxi to meet you and take you there from the RR station. Not because of safety - just becaause public transport will be 'gone' by that time and things can be confusing on walking.

I'm not sure I do with #2. The 6:30 AM train leaves from Keleti. I'm not at all certain that the International ticket office at Keleti (it's not a window - t's on the opposite side of the station.) will be that open at that time. If it is, it certainly won't be fully manned. Even then, it's likely to have long lines (Take a ticket and wait for your number to be called) as there will be a pile of people wanting tickets to Vienna. I would therefefore buy my ticket at least a day in advance. I'd also try Nyugati rather than Keleti. (Again, not an international window - one just goes through the room for domestic tickets to the international side.)

My experiences are, admittedly, limited. I've ended up doing this once a year since 2005. From 2005-2010, I went to Nyuguti for validation of assorted railpasses, purchase of international seat reservations, purchases of international tickets. I typically go to Keleti for purchases of 'inland' or domestic seat reservations and tickets.

Last year (2011) I went to Keleti for my only 'need' on the international side. Granted that it was around 10 AM, so crowded, but I ended up with ticket # 185, and waited 45 minutes before it was called. Then (because what I needed wasn't a ticket to Vienna), my request was apparently beyond the authority of the clerk, who had to call a superviser - who showed up about 30 minutes later. I have no idea what it would be like at 6:30, but I wouldn't want to miss my train because of a mess at the international ticket office.

In previous years, I went to Nyugati for International stuff. There were almost never lines - I think there was one person in front of me once. The various people with whom Idealt all had excellent English, understood my weird requests, and got everything done expeditiously and correctly. OTOH, dealing with my 'Inland' tickets on the domestic side was a nightmare. Keleti is much easier to deal with there. (Which explains why I tried Keleti for the intenational stuff last year.)

I've never tried Deli for anything.

Incidentally, if you do get a direct train to Kosice, be sure to check the carriage as going on to Kosice. (There will be a paper tag on the window. ) Most of the train 'leaves' at Miskolc or Hidnasnemeti. (sp?). (I almost missed that one once.)

I hope that helps.

Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Reservations Budapest to Kosice

All the comments have been so helpful. Thank you!! We're really looking forward to the trip.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,085 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Reservations Budapest to Kosice

Don't worry - on this train all the cars go to Košice www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php…

Just a tip - if you have an evening meal on the train it is a bit more comfortable.

If you want to get the morning train, there isn't a restaurant car on that train, but the rolling stock is slightly plusher www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php…

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,708 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Reservations Budapest to Kosice

GCEK, That's new, I think. I haven't left that early, but the somewhat later one I used to take certainly left most of the train at either Miskcolc or Hidnasnemeti. Would still be good to check, I think.

Manchester, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Reservations Budapest to Kosice

for those who arrive at 23:00 PM at Budapest and want to go to Kosice is there any train or bus on this time? Thank you

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,085 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Reservations Budapest to Kosice

Not without changing several times in obscure places in the middle of the night, and it would take almost 10 hours. You would end up catching the direct morning train from Budapest anyway for the final leg.

look at www.cp.sk for times (make sure you select the correct Košice as there is also one on the Czech Republic)