We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day in budapest

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
57 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
one day in budapest

we are a mid age couple and passing thru Budapest in May end 2012 for just ONE day for sightseeing arriving by air 10 AM and departing by train to Vienna next day 9AM.

Please suggest

1)which area to stay so we can cover the top sights of the city with ease by foot/ public transport /taxi etc or sightseeing tour

2)and which area to go for dining (informal place with good lively atmosphere).

3) any other suggestion to do in that one single day

P.S stay budget is max E 100 including breakfast.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Culinary Hungary Home Cooking Class and Market Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Cooking Classes, Food Tours
Cold War Private Tours Budapest
Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours
Guidehungary - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Guide Hongrie
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,435 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one day in budapest

If your time is as limited as that I would suggest Castle District as it is small enough for you to cover all of it, and has enough to fill a day. Others will no doubt have other views. Best place to eat around there is Hunyadi restaurant, we stayed at the Buda Castle Fashion Hotel which was perfect.

You will have great views of Pest from Fishermans Bastion, but nowhere near enough time to do all of it justice.

Mentioned in this post
Fisherman's Bastion
Fisherman's Bastion
24,770 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Buda Castle Fashion Hotel
Buda Castle Fashion Hotel
1,033 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,203 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one day in budapest

Actually, I'd pretty strongly suggest that the Castle District is just about the last place you might want to stay ... though I do understand the reasoning and it depends on your personal taste: The Castle District is isolated at the top of a hill and if you are there you will go no place else. It is historic and quaint and distinctive and has lots of things that could fill a day, including many restaurants (all overpriced and most not terribly good in my experience, but there are good places to be found and if you aren't terribly picky about the food they cam be quite amiable). If you stay there you will likely have a good time but you will not have seen Budapest at all ... just the Old Hungary theme park that the Castle District more or less provides. I'm not sure what hotel to recommend other than the Hilton, or what rates they book at, but there are several more modest places, and quite a few guesthouses, within the District.

Pest, on the other hand is flat, easily walked, and most everything except the Castle can be strolled about in the span of a solid day...If you stay near the river (the Gerloczy's rates are wa little above your cap (114/night for two with breakfast) but it is hard to beat for location and charm in a small hotel. Or you can look for a larger, more traditional hotel like the K&K Opera, near Liszt Ferenc ter and you'll be near lots of cafes and nightlife and a fair number of sights.

If it were me and I had only one night, I'd stay closer to the river; but it's really a coin toss and a matter of personal taste.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Szada, Pest, Hungary
Level Contributor
425 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one day in budapest

I agree with johnfarago, stay in Pest side.

You can go up to the castle district for 1 hour, but almost everything else is on the other side of the Danube.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one day in budapest

Have to agree with John. If you stay on castle hill you will just get to look out at all the things you will miss: Parliament, Basilica, shopping district and all the glorious restaraunts. Either the Gerlczy for close in but less service, or K&K only about 5 minutes away but with the HUGE free breakfast will serve you well.

Bear in mind, almost all the sights you will want to see are very close together and they are on the Pest side.

Mentioned in this post
Parliament
Parliament
30,786 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
57 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one day in budapest

Thank you all. before now i was not aware of there being a distinct "pest" side to the city and by looking at the map i assume that the general recommendation is to stay in District V area which is also close to the river.

Since the idea is for us to get as much a feel of the city as one can in one day, can someone please list out the must see sights that we can do on our own or should we take a city sightseeing tour.

i believe that the public transportation system is good in Budapest and in earlier posts there are some who have recommended buying a city pass to do the sites but i am not sure if they meant that the important ones can be covered in a single day.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: one day in budapest

Stay on the river. Take the tram to the Great Market in the morning then walk up Vaci street and shop some more, then on to the Chain Bridge, then the Shoes, then St Stephens and the pedestrian shopping area in front, then take the M1 to the Park, bath house, then walk to Hero Square then walk to the next M1 stop and ride it one stop, then walk one stop and continue like that to the Opera House and then walk exhausted to your hotel. Wait, not finished. After dinner take a bottle of wine and go by cab to the top of Feller Hill and see the lights of the city.

Mentioned in this post
Vaci Street
Vaci Street
1,937 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: one day in budapest

For the typing impaired, Bob is reffering to "Gellert" hill.

Szada, Pest, Hungary
Level Contributor
425 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: one day in budapest

For an informal dinner, maybe Andrássy út and Liszt Ferenc tér are the best, with lots of restaurants and cafés. Just see the menus and what the pople eat, and choose. This is a central location.

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: one day in budapest

My Pad does "auto correct" on my spelling which quite often means "auto mistake" when dealing with the unusual.

As you walk if you follow the route more or less that i suggested there will be a decent restaurant about every 100 meteres or so. So dont worry about the food. But i agree, Andrassy ut or Liszt F. ter would be best. Vaci street tends to be expensive, bland and touristy.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: one day in budapest

I think that the Pest side would be easier.

I would suggest that perhaps one of the HOHO buses might be something to consider, as you could get to both the Pest and Buda sides. Just figure out in advance which stops you really want to make.