We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transfer to Budapest airport

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
transfer to Budapest airport

Has anyone used the pre booked online service of Budapest Airport Transfers? They are quoting 19euros from any hotel in Budapest.

Thanks

Aushol

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,941 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transfer to Budapest airport

In Budapest we received excellent service from Fotaxi, 20 euro for fours passengers CBD to the airport.

They have a booth outside the arrivals terminal, and telephone them for your return to the airport.

www.fotaxi.hu/taxi-budapest-eng.php

www.xe.com

Edited: 04 April 2012, 04:10
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transfer to Budapest airport

Thanks a lot - I'll check them out

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transfer to Budapest airport

FoTaxi is the airport taxi service and arguably the best way to go to and from the airport. Nothing to pre-book or worry about. They have a taxi stand right outside of the arrival lobby.

bud.hu/english/passengers/access_and_parking

the cars are fairly new, the rates are excellent by airport standards (save ther receipt for the discounted return trip) and the drivers speak enough english to get the job done (generally a lot more).

Penzance
Level Contributor
631 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transfer to Budapest airport

Hi Aushol,My was about £12 or 3600Huf.

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transfer to Budapest airport

FoTaxi charges 5800 ft to most of the city and gives a discount on the return. The combined RT with FoTaxi averages to 4895 each way with the return trip discount.

Terence £12 is almost 4300ft. which would be a bargan. Haven't heard of anyone going that cheap before.

Aushol, 19 euro today is about 5,600 ft. So I think the FoTaxi would be a tiny bit cheapeer on a RT with the discount.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,611 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transfer to Budapest airport

It's funny how these threads about getting to and from the airport make us all think that only our own way makes sense, when in fact it's really utterly a matter of taste.

bobandco is spot on that compared to other cities, the taxi situation in Budapest is well-run and simple to use; and the public transit options are far short of those cities where there is a (generally sickeningly overpriced) dedicated train or bus from the airport to the city center ... but it's not complicated if you know the rules, and it's cheap

but the main thing is that there are people who are really, really into public transit ... i sort of understand the feeling -- you don't feel that you really are free in a city until you either know how to get around in its metros and buses and trams or have a car and have driven enough to know which end is which -- depending on being driven is a bit like being tied to a GPS ... for some people it's just claustrophobic not to feel in control, and often (including in Budapest) the public transit options are as good a way as any to learn the system that you hope to rely on...

other people think the point of traveling is to do as much as possible while spending as little as possible, and public transit to and from the airport is a good starting point for them as well

yet others feel that the joy of travel comes from being able to blend in and be mistaken for a local, and public transit, to be sure, is the way most locals get to and from the airport (if you exclude those who get a ride from a friend) ...

and others enjoy the shuttle ... it's convenient, door to door, and if you are not terminally (you'll pardon the pun) shy, a way to meet others headed in roughly your direction ... and it's reliable and the driver actually works for and is accountable to the shuttle company (not true of the taxi drivers who are all independent of the taxi company and only loosely affiliated with it; the company serves, in practice, as a dispatcher more than anything else)

and then there are folks like me who prefer to take a pre-arranged car/taxi from the airport in (and, once i've established contact with a driver in a new city, it's actually even more valuable to have the ride booked for the return trip back out to the airport), and this is where i diverge from bobandco and others...

i enjoy seeing my name on a sign when i arrive in a strange city and feeling that as soon as i am out of baggage claim everything is under control ... i enjoy having a sense that i have a specific person who is accountable to me if things go wrong, that the person driving me is a person I have specifically connected to, even when it's indirect (that is, when my contact is with someone else who vouches for the driver and remains accessible to me if we have trouble meeting up ... it could be my hotel concierge, it could be the driver him/herself, it could be a colleague of the driver)...I enjoy knowing that the driver speaks some English and that I can ask orientation questions as we drive in (along what must be one of the most ugly and prosaic routes in the world ... though no worse than from JFK or Narita, except that the motorway is considerably more rudimentary than either of those)

but most of all i like having established that link to a particular driver and car ... i don't much care what the car is like, as long as there is room and it's reasonably new and well-kept; what i do care about is that here's someone who recognizes my face now, who knows where i am staying, and who knows exactly when to pick me up to get me to the airport on departure ... between early departures and late ones, rush hour and construction, language differences and my own outsider-ness, i really like not feeling uncertain about getting to the airport on time -- i am capable of doing things like leaving my passport behind, or the tickets, or mistaking what terminal i am headed for, i don't also need the uncertainty of connecting with a new and unknown driver for that trip out, and i've got a driver i rely on and like for these reasons (Alajos Pulai, pulai31@gmail.com, but there are others who do this work as well ...)

so, there it is, we all get lured into trying to make our own preferences seem the 'right' ones ... of course they aren't right; what's right is what you as a traveler choose and prefer, and our job is to get you enough information to make that reasoned choice, not to sell you on any one route or means of getting there

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transfer to Budapest airport

Geeee John; a novel. I just made the comment "arguably the best" and you sure took me up on the argue part. Other than that I just did some cost conversions and looked up some rates. I do concur that this does get beat to death. I think the bigger question is why? I've traveled some and I have never had a particularly annoying problem at any airport. I’ve pretty much run the gambit of getting from the Budapest airport with various forms of transportation. Your associate let me down, the guy I liked moved on to better things and the taxis have been fairly consistent in meeting my expectations. Public transport might be interesting but I get off the plane too pooped out to want to deal with it. The mini vans would be fine except for the pooped out factor. But as you note this is all pretty subjective.

Just the same I have arranged for a tour guide to pick up one couple so that on their way into town they can get a sort of orientation tour which I am hoping it will help them make the best of their time in Budapest. You would stroke if you knew how much that airport transfer was costing. But every situation is different. You end with some comment about it “is our job”. Naaaa, ain't got no job here. Just tossing out opinions.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transfer to Budapest airport

OK, I guess it's about time for me to chime in.

It seems to me that most posters who have never been to Budapest basically just want to get from the airport to their accommodation. Their consideratins are mainly cost and convenience.

1. Public transport is clearly the cheapest. But there are problems with obtaining the required tickets for that for various reasons. Getting the proper number of tickets,(In forints - so some currency needs to be dealt with), finding a place to get them, need to know what tram of bus you need agefter getting to the center, and hauling bsggage up and down stairs or on escalators and then hauling everything to one's eventual destination. It will also be slow.

2. Shuttle minibus. If only one person, this can work on a cost basis. Will be slower than a taxi, but can be purchased with a CC. (John, There's no conviviality on them - everyone is too tired to care.) These do deliver you and your luggage to and from the door. Tickets at an obvious desk inde airport.

3) Fo Taxi. That's the official airport one. Appaently that's also easy. Get ticket and got to taxi. Also door to door.

4) Private pre-booked taxi. IMHO, fine for those who have been before, know one, etc, etc, etc.

For a first time person with no Budapest connections, I'd go for 1-3, depending on cost, convenience, and time considerations. Those are all reliable. 1 needs to be understood before one gets there.

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transfer to Budapest airport

well said oh great and Odd One.!

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: transfer to Budapest airport

And do not forget about their the travelers, who would like to somebody will catch their hands on exit.

And for all this they do not want to pay more than the "official" taxi.

Recommend for them: http://paytaxionline.com/rates.php