We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June Opera House Performances

Boston
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
June Opera House Performances

I did my homework on tripadvisor and looked up the link to the web site where one can purchase tickets to the Opera House.

I also looked up the web site of the Opera House itself.

And I am a little bit confused - on June 20, on the Hungarian Opera House web site, it reads that there will be a 7PM performance of Tosca. When I click on "ticket order", I get a prompter saying that :

"Jean-Philippe Rameau

Hippolyte et Aricie

Hippolyte et Aricie

Opera

Nyár - season ticket

Description and further eventsJUN 20

Wed 19:00 Not on sale"

We would prefer to see an opera but if an opera is not possible, then we will try to purchase the tickets for the 6/21 Romeo and Juliet (balet). We have 3 nights in the city (June 19 - 21).

Can anybody explain to me if there will be an opera performance on 6/20 and if so, which one and can one purchase tickets in advance (or is the 6/20 show reserved for season ticket holders and not open to public?)

Thank you.

NJ
Level Contributor
714 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June Opera House Performances

Tickets will go on sale about a month before the performance. Just keep checking. I'm able to buy tickets for the May performance of Carmen a week or two ago.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,412 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June Opera House Performances

ActonJana

rh1home gave you good advise I too have bought tickets for Carmen in May just keep your eyes peeled

I think tickets go on sale about 4-5 weeks before performance

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June Opera House Performances

You are correct. There is a conflict in listings. Hippolyte et Aricie Is an opera but it sure isn’t Tosca. A shame too. We have seen Tosca in Budapest and it was a pretty decent production. Keep watching the site as the tickets for one or the other will go on sale shortly. Sometimes 30 days sometimes unexpectedly before the performance. In all cases the seats sell rather rapidly. Romeo & Juliet the Ballet is not on sale as of yet either.

I was going to suggest the Operett Theather if you like Broadway style musicals but June must be Romeo & Juliet month as Romeo & Juliet (the musical) is playing on the dates you are in town and that is one of their productions with no English subtitles. Although I would enjoy it just the same.

If you go to this web site there is a pretty full listing of other venues you might want to look at. The Palace of Art is a spectacular (but modern) setting with good shows all year. http://budapestflat.shutterfly.com/230

Frustrates me too as I like to plan way in advance. Imporssible with the Opera house.

Happy Trials

Edited: 13 April 2012, 16:55
Boston
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: June Opera House Performances

Thank you all for your prompt reply. In addition to contacting my fellow Tripadvisor members, I also emailed the Opera house directly (found an email on their web site). I received a reply within minutes of posting my inquiry with detailed explanation and an offer to contact the theater directly in early May.

I was very impressed by their customer service. They reconfirmed that Tosca in fact will be performed.

Now, can anybody give me a rough estimate of how much the tickets are in June (high season?) for the Opera and/or the ballet? I guess I could query the price for current performances and find out +/- 10% surcharge for processing fee.

Again, thanks in advance for sharing your expertise with me.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,997 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June Opera House Performances

When you buy tickets for the Opera through Jegymester (its official booking website), i don't believe there is a surcharge added; and the seats are priced the same throughout the regular season, which ends sometime around June and to the extent there is any opera in the summer it is part of a summer festival and not offered by the Opera itself.

When bobandco says that the Palace of the Arts has good offerings all year, that doesn't really include most of the summer ... thus far (it's only been open about half a dozen years) they have been closed a minimum of 4-6 weeks each summer, for varying reasons (though a big part of it is that neither of its two primary companies (the National Philharmonic and the Budapest Festival Orchestra) has a summer season in Budapest...

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June Opera House Performances

Most everything closes from mid July through the end of August. This is when you need to hunt for summer festivals and outdoor music events.

The most expensive tickets I can recall were 18,000 ft. each but you should be able to get decent seats for almost half that, and just plain seats for a fraction of that.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June Opera House Performances

The reason they wait so long to sell the tickets for the opera is that, with the possible exception of a Christo piece, opera is the absolute most complex of the arts. If it is a new piece for the house you have no idea the challenges. If it is something they have done before, they might have had the "legs" and scrims hanging in the rafters for a century. Then, if the Diva doesn't blow a gasket they can release tickets. Be patient.

As for symphony, that is a different animal. In the summer people who can afford it leave Budapest and go out to their country house. This is called "cucumber growing season." The same in Milan, Paris, etc., etc.

There are three European-class orchestras in Budapest. They go out to the country to perform in the summer. Sometimes they split the orchestra up, much the same as "split squad" baseball here for spring training. I have seen them perform in Szombethely, Szekesfehervar, Eger...but the best was in Miskolc and Gyula in their castle courtyards. Well worth seeking out!

Edited: 14 April 2012, 01:29
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June Opera House Performances

See the reviews:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g274902-d178…

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,997 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June Opera House Performances

the primary reason for the summer closings has been the lack of air conditioning in the venues, at least until the Palace of the Arts opened ... they have been flirting with summer offerings each year but have had a reason each summer not to go forward with them, at least thus far, though they have at least once only shut down for four weeks

now that construction at the Music Academy building in large measure involves installing air conditioning; given Budapest's climate, I can't imagine any reason for doing this unless they are planning/hoping to fill the place July and August

but that's not a near-term option

10. Re: June Opera House Performances

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 19:42