We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking up to Castle Hill

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
714 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Walking up to Castle Hill

How many ways can you walk up to Castle Hill, which has nicer view and which is easier to walk?

From Moszkva ter

Next to the funicular?

Directly under Fisherman's Bastion?

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking up to Castle Hill

Actually the view is better while walking down from the hill.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,544 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking up to Castle Hill

The walk from Szell Kalmann ter (nee Moszkva ter) is an easy downhill walk (from the Castle) past picturesque houses, but is not scenic otherwise.

The steps down from the Castle to the river are steeper and more scenic.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking up to Castle Hill

There is also the walk down from the south end.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking up to Castle Hill

Hi rh1home,

The answer is simple...but a tricky find. The absolute most scenic path coming out of the castle (less so going up, but still nice)......In the castle district, head towards the Hilton. As you are facing the Hilton walk to the far left of the hotel and turn right (towards the river - i think it's Ibolya ut). You will walk past a couple hidden parking spots and see a small door/stair case entry straight ahead. Follow the stairs down and at the bottom veer left. Keep on the path and as you walk down the next set of stairs you will have a fantastic framed view of the parliament dome. You can take the stairs all the way to the bottom where they will lead you a block from Batthany ter along the river. (Once at the bottom of the final stairs, turn left and then right - and you will see the full parliament building across the river).

The path and stairs take me back in time, as they are usually very quiet and the gas lamps are wonderful. I would take the walk during the day and avoid at night only because it is quite dark below the castle wall at the Hilton. You can see the path on Google maps, where the stairs are referred to as Franklin Street.

Enjoy.

Jeremy

NJ
Level Contributor
714 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking up to Castle Hill

Thanks so much!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,228 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking up to Castle Hill

I agree with Bobandco, the view is better walking DOWN the hill - catch a bus up there (or the funicular, though that is a rip-off IMO).

NJ
Level Contributor
714 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking up to Castle Hill

which bus takes you up there, where do you get on?

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,544 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking up to Castle Hill

#16 from Deak ter (Pest) or Szell Kalman ter (Buda); these are the two endpoints, the Castle District is in between, a good bit closer to the Szell Kalman end

Edited: 20 April 2012, 15:05
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking up to Castle Hill

Must repectfully disagree with Roman about the funicular (Siklo). rh1 has been posting for a few months now and doing her research about the city with some very good questions. I think it would be a shame for a first time visitor, or even repeat visitor to miss the chance to ride the Siklo at least once. The view going up or down is very special. I take it at least once everytime I am in the city.

10. Re: Walking up to Castle Hill

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 01:42