We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Budapest to Prague

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
143 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Budapest to Prague

We will need two one-way tickets from Budapest to Prague in mid June.

Older threads indicate that I cannot buy the tickets online but I wondered if that has changed. It appears I can buy them through Czech Transport. Is that correct?

If we cannot buy them online, we will be arriving in Budapest 4 days earlier. Can I buy them at the train station when I arrive? Should I wait until the day we are leaving for Prague?

It is a six hour ride. Would it be better to take a night train or is it scenic and a nice trip in itself?

Do they sell out? We don't want to be stranded.

Thanks!

173 replies to this topic
Europe
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

Company you've mentioned above is an agency, which simply resells tickets with rather high commission, so won't recommend using them. Especially since already for a while you can buy ticket Budapest-Prague online from official Hungarian railways website (start from 19 euro).

And even without it, tickets can't really sold out. The reason for that is that direct trains running between Budapest and Prague doesn't require obligatory seat reservation, so don't worry.

Imho, relatively scenic part of the journey is on segment between Budapest and Vac (in some places train runs really close to Danube) and a bit between Brno and Prague with some tunnels and hills around

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,579 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

The bit around Brno is possibly the most scenic bit on the Czech part - also the section between the Austrian border and Brno passes through a UNESCO biosphere area.

Saying that, though, there is nothing really of real note even on those sections - bring a good book :)

You could break your journey in Brno if 6 hours on a train seems too much. A taster:

guardian.co.uk/travel/2010/jun/19/low-cost-f…

brno.cz/fileadmin/…Brno_1en.wmv

And as mentioned above, try and buy the ticket from the rail company http://www.mav-start.hu/english/index.php - it isn't user-friendly, you will need google translate in the registration part, and a bit of lateral thinking in the rest.

Sure you can buy a ticket through a re-seller such as the one you mention, but expect to pay considerably more than €19.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

Hi

I just booked 2 tickets from Budapest to Prague for 19 euros each for May. I used the Hungarian railway website here:

http://elvira.hu/

This page gives a detailed explanation about the Budapest to Prague special rate.

mav-start.hu/utazas/…

It took awhile but using Google Translate to decipher Hungarian and some emails to their information mail address I was able to manage it. At the end of a successful booking, you will be mailed a 10 digit code that you use at a train ticket kiosk to print the tickets.

Good luck.

seattle
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

qtboy8888, do you think you could explain how you did this? I looked at the translation, but it is not clear to me. Did you think it was necessary to do this before you went? I thought I could wait and buy my tickets there. I was able to buy Prague to Berlin tickets online, but the elvira.hu website is not as easy to navigate. We plan to go from Budapest to Prague on May 24th.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,579 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

You can wait until you get there, but you should be aware that the number of €19 tickets is limited. When they have gone it goes up to €29, and then it goes up to the standard price which is €57, I think. However, if it comes to this just buy a return which is €45 - they don't sell out at that price and the good thing with such a ticket is that you can stop off along the way in Brno, for example.

Most people seem to have no problem getting a discounted ticket on this route, especially if you buy a couple of days before travel.

Szada, Pest, Hungary
Level Contributor
425 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

EuropeTrains, supposedly you meant the Vác - Sturovo section as scenic part, not Budapest - Vác.

I think if you buy a 19 € ticket, it is valid only for a specific train, not allowed to break the journey. Maybe you can take a break in Pardubice. From there Prague is only 1 hr and the additional ticket you may need worth it to get off here: ~500 m from the station is the brewery with a restaurant, serving cheap food and the brilliant Porter beer, similar to Guiness. A very enjoyable "local" place.

But if you have a normal ticket, a break in Brno really worth it. Head for the Pegas restaurant in the centre 15-20 mins walk (on the backway you can take a tram), for their beer brewed there and the good food. The Gothic church is also close to there.

Or you can take a break in

Europe
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

>>>EuropeTrains, supposedly you meant the Vác - Sturovo section as scenic part, not Budapest - Vác.<<<

Yep, meant 'near the Danube' part of the rail line, but wrote Budapest-Vac :)

>>>But if you have a normal ticket, a break in Brno really worth it<<<

The only problem is that normal (allowing stopovers) one-way ticket Budapest-Prague cost 80 euro. So if there is an idea to stop, then much better is to 'break' tickets, thus buy first Budapest-Bratislava, then in Slovakia Bratislava-Brno/Pardubice etc., then Czech domestic.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
650 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

Please be aware that you can get cheaper tickets by booking round-trip than one-way for certain cities paired with Budapest, using MAV website. For example, the round-trip 19e fare to Prague is more expensive one-way. We bought round-trip tickets to Salzburg for 39e and had we bought just one-way the price was 64e. Weird, but it's for real. I felt kind of strange leaving Salzburg for Venice knowing I had a free trip back to Budapest in my pocket. qtboy, glad to see you had success after all.

Europe
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

>>>the round-trip 19e fare to Prague is more expensive one-way<<<

There is no 19 euro fare round-trip fare for Budapest-Prague route ;) 19 euro tickets are one-way Spar tickets.

>>>We bought round-trip tickets to Salzburg for 39e and had we bought just one-way the price was 64e. Weird, but it's for real.<<<

39 euro ticket is not a real return ticket, it's what is called special offer 'Kirándulójegy' (or tourist ticket) and it doesn't allow stopovers for instance. MAV does have them to Prague as well (49 euro or 59 euro with Prague city transport pass), but again, in case OP wants a stopover somewhere it won't work, you will need to buy new ticket after you get off train.

Europe
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

seakat76, seeing a lot of questions about MAV ticket purchase, decided to create step-by-step guide in English about buying tickets from Hungarian Railways website, hope it will help a bit ;)

europetrainsguide.com/Advice/How-to-Buy-Trai…

Reply to: Train from Budapest to Prague
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted