We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest 24-hour travel card - On all bus/trains??

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, England...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Budapest 24-hour travel card - On all bus/trains??

Is the 'Budapest 24-hour travel card' valid on any journey, including night bus/train?? I arrive late and will need to use night buses from airport to city centre. Then, I'm mainly planning to be around the city like around Parliament, Castle hill and around the river.

Will this cover all journey for 24 hour?

And, where can I buy it? Like where in Airport - is there a machine and would i need coins for this? coz shops would be closed when i arrive at night.

--

I'll arrive at Budapest airport at night, then take the bus 900 and 950/950A Buses to get to city centre (staying around Bajcsy-Zsilinszky útca). Plan to do some sightseeing the next day. Stay there that night. Then next morning, take a bus from Nepliget to Vienna.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest 24-hour travel card - On all bus/trains??

I suspect that you won't be able to purchase the 24 hr travel card at the airport if you are arriving late at night.

Once you do, it's valid on buses, trams, the Metro, and parts of the HEV (to the city limits), and a couple of other things. It is not valid on the HOHO buses, the funicular to the Castle, the chair lift, or the Children's RR.

Off hand, I'd suggest figuring out how to buy a couple of bus tickets when you get in, find a place to purchase the trael card the next morning at a time so that it wuld cover your trip to Nepliget.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,611 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest 24-hour travel card - On all bus/trains??

The BKV website lists the 24-hour card as being available in the vending machine at the start of the 200 Bus route at T2 at the airport ... so it is possible that you may be able to get it there ... I have never bought one in a vending machine; does anyone know if the machine timestamps it or whether, instead, you have to fill in the start date and time yourself?

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest 24-hour travel card - On all bus/trains??

I don't know if the vending machine takes bills, or only coins. That is a consideration, as you won't get coins at an ATM. I hope that someone who has actually been successful with this will reply.

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest 24-hour travel card - On all bus/trains??

I have successfully used the ticket vending machine at T2. One of life's small victories :)

I couldn't get a transfer ticket, but it would sell me day (24H) tickets. These could be date stamped with times and dates i selected, or they defaulted to the current times.

It required an awful lot of coins. It wouldn't take cards or banknotes. This was a year ago, and to be honest I can't remember if it was being temperamental or simply wasn't designed to take banknotes.

Now I simply buy two tickets at the shop in the terminal. as all passengers need to transfer at KK, you'd think they's keep a stock of transfer tickets. Wouldn't you?

At the time I wanted to beat the system and cover my first day's travel with a single ticket.

5. Re: Budapest 24-hour travel card - On all bus/trains??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 15:42