We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help

washington dc
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help

Hello. I have three full days and nights to spend in Budapest, and I was wondering whether I should devote one of those days to trip a trip outside the city (maybe Vac and Visegrad). I'm not sure whether it is wiser to spend all three days in the city, which has so much to offer and see, or whether it is best to take a day trip to a smaller quaint town.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for all your help!

Cheers,

George

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help

Hi wanderinggeorge,

I think it's all up to you - and your likes. One thing to keep in mind is that these towns are not too close, so your transportation time will eat some of your day. I believe you can pretty easily eat up 3 days in Bpest. I like Visegrad - which you can get there by car (1 hour), boat (?) or guide (?). The remains of the castle deliver a fantastic view of the Danube Bend, but the town is a bit nondescript in my opinion. What are you looking for in a town outside of Budapest? Some travelers like to visit Szentendre since it's close, is accessible by Hev (local train).....

At a macro level, I'd suggest staying around the city - but share some more insights and we can share better insights. Love the user name by the way!

Jeremy

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help

Here is a sample itinerary that might help a little: …shutterfly.com/fivedaysinbudapest

Netherlands
Level Contributor
22 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help

Hi George

We also had a 3 day trip to Budapest last week and were also wondering about exploring nearby places. So we went to Szentender and loved it. It is a small town full of history and culture. Went there by train (40 minutes) and came back by boat (1 hour). Loved the boat trip along Daniub and the views of Budapest from the river was amazing. You could do that too :)

Edited: 22 May 2012, 14:21
USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help

agontuk, thats one of my favorite afternoons as well.

Derry, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help

Hi. I have to choose between 4 days in Budapest and 1 in Venice or 3 days in Budapest and 2 in Venice. I've been to Venice before so I know that it is small and easy to see in a small amount of time. But I've never been to Budapest. Is there enough in Budapest to merit 4 days?

NJ
Level Contributor
714 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help

We just went there for 4.5 (close to 5) days and I think you can easily eat up 4 days without much problem. We did the bath and the opera among other things, and we didn't have time for Gellert Hill, Szentendre and any museum.

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help

June 9th will be my 93rd day give or take a week or two and i still can't wait to get there and i still have a list of things to see and do that far outweighs the 10 days i will be in the city. A few posts up i provided a link for a sort of sample five day stay.

washington dc
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help

Thank you all so much for your help! I really appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts and recommendations.

Cheers,

George

9. Re: Itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 07:16