We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have I got this right? Public transport!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
414 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Have I got this right? Public transport!

I'm just wanting to check my understanding of the single tickets for all public transport!

Our flight doesn't land until 2240 so we're getting a taxi to the hotel but after that we were planning on using public transport. I'm planning on buying a book of 10 tickets, Am I right in thinking that each ticket is only used once? It isn't valid for a transfer between transport types so if I go from a bus to the metro I have to use 2 tickets, if i did bus then another bus it would still be 2 tickets?

Is the only exception metro-metro? I've been on the website and am i right in thinking that i can transfer on the metro using one ticket? for example I could go from Oktogon to Deak Ferenc Ter to Kobanya-Kispest on one single ticket? Or do i need 2? If I get off to see something (thinking of ferencvaros stadium - hubby is a football ground geek!) and then back on i'll have to use another ticket?

Its a bit confusing! And the metro has to be validated before you get on but everything else as soon as you get on you see a validation thing?

I hope I've understood this correctly, thanks in advance for your help!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,705 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have I got this right? Public transport!

Sounnds right to me. If you do get off the Metro at ferencvaros, then you do need a second ticket to get back on.

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have I got this right? Public transport!

That's why i still buy the travel card. It makes it all mindless and easy.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have I got this right? Public transport!

Thanks! We don't think we'll get use out of a travel card cos we won't be using it that much, planning on walking do we can see the sights as we go! Only there 2 and a half days! Planning on the 10 ticket book for the 2 of us, planning to use 2 tickets each to get to city park for the baths (will be walking rest of the day but want to go back for baths after returning to hotel to pick up towels etc) and then will need 3 tickets each for back to the airport (if we stop at ferencvaros).

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,705 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have I got this right? Public transport!

A 10 ticket book qould take care of what you said. OTOH, a 24 hr travel card for the day you're not doing this would allow a lot of 'roaming' between sites that aren't that close to each other. Just time it right.

Szada, Pest, Hungary
Level Contributor
425 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have I got this right? Public transport!

You understand well, basically one ticket is one uninterrupted journey on one vehicle - except the metro where you can change the metro lines on Deák tér, the only station where the lines cross each other.

London, United...
Level Contributor
732 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have I got this right? Public transport!

I'll be going next week for 4 whole days. There's 2 of us and I was thinking it might be better to purchase the 7 day pass (4600 Huf) to save time. Is this wise or wasteful? Haven't planned an itinery as such so not fully sure what we're doing. Will be staying at the Atruim Fashion hotel.

Szada, Pest, Hungary
Level Contributor
425 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have I got this right? Public transport!

From your hotel most of the sights can be reached by one journey on tram or metro; assuming 4 trips a day, it costs 4x4x280 huf (if you buy 10-bundle of ticket) = 4480 Huf. So maybe you don't save too much with the weekly ticket, but it is much more comfortable, don't have to validate it in every vehicle, and you feel more free to use public transport, ie. to go only 1-2 stops if you get tired or a rainshower. (And maybe you can sell it on the last day for somebody who can use it for additional 3 days...)

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,705 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have I got this right? Public transport!

It depends on what you're planning. If you are just walking about for the firts half day and the last half day, then the 72 hour travel card at 3850 HUF could work for you. (Having been sure to get the times right.) OTOH, the 7-day one would leave out that condieration. The difference is only about $4US. So 2-3 GBP. Personally, I'd take the 7-day one, but that's just me.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have I got this right? Public transport!

Thanks a lot! I'd not realised there was a 24hour travel card, i'd assumed it was one day as in one actual day rather than 24 hours. This would work well as we are not going to be using the transport until less thn 24hours before we go back to the airport so could get that on the afternoon and use it the following dinner time for the airport?

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,705 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Have I got this right? Public transport!

It's 24 hrs. So if you got it at 3 PM on one day, it's good for journeys completed by 3 PM the following day - not after dinner. Have I made that clear? (Probably not.)