We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hungarian Folk Dances

Washington DC
Level Contributor
80 posts
215 reviews
Save Topic
Hungarian Folk Dances

We are visiting Budapest in Jun 21-24th. Is there a place I can see Hungarian folk dances ?

I know about the Opera, but it is showing Romeo & Juliet, which is not particularly Hungarian.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hungarian Folk Dances

Hagyományok Háza (Hungarian Heritage House)

www.heritagehouse.hu/main/performances/

Fonó Budai Táncház

1116 Budapest, Sztregova u. 3.

mail: fono@fono.hu

www.fono.hu/index.php…

(the webpage is only in Hungarian)

These are the best. Additionally, MüPa (Palace of Arts) offers some Hungarian folk music and dance performances as well.

http://mupa.hu/en/

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hungarian Folk Dances

Whats kind of interesting is the Opera House has R&J the Ballet while you are in town and the Operett Theater has R&J the musical while you are in town. Sorry i cant help you too much, Sont probalby has the best idea. The Palace of Art doesnt have much that week. But the summer festival does begin http://eng.szabadter.hu/programmes.html

And there are links to more venues where you might find something that interests you. The theater, concerts, dance, etc in Budapest always adds to the trip. here:

…shutterfly.com/fivedaysinbudapest

Edited: 24 May 2012, 17:30
Washington DC
Level Contributor
80 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hungarian Folk Dances

Thanks. Bobandco I could not find links to theater, concerts etc on the shutterfly.com link. Can you let me know where they might be?

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hungarian Folk Dances

Hello, MUPA's event calendar is available here, but there is no dance (or maybe just not uplodaded yet) during your stay: http://mupa.hu/en/program/tanc

Sorry about that. And you are arriving just after a huge folk dance festival in Budapest called the Danube Carnival (hundreds of folk dancers from more than 20 countries, and lots of Hungarian groups). Never mind, Sont has given you excellent options.

The Hungarian Dance Theatre in the Castle district has nothing on (or not updated for the end of June - worth checking back)

www.nemzetitancszinhaz.hu/index.php…

But I think you will love the following options:

Hungaria Folk Ensemble will perform on June 22 (and 24, which is too late I guess) …info.hu/en/…rajko-folk-ensemble

or you can also see the Hungarian State Folk Ensemble on June 21 …info.hu/en/…hungarian-state-folk-ensemble

These are more like folk shows put together in a choreography from authentic Hungarian dances, but they are quite enjoyable.

Some more folksy ideas:

although 3.5 days is not too long, if you want to make a trip to the countryside and are interested in folk culture, you may enjoy taking a look around the Skanzen in the little town called Szentendre (1 hour from Budapest by the suburban train) http://skanzen.hu/index.php?fm=1&am=1&dd=6

June 21 from 7 pm Kobuci folk dance house (in case you want to dance too) in Zichy Castle in Obuda (old Buda dsitrict of Budapest, address is 1 Fo Square, Obuda District III)

Have fun!

Washington DC
Level Contributor
80 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hungarian Folk Dances

Thanks. I do not think we would like to go out of Budapest as we have 2.5 days only. I am sure there is a lot in Budapest to fill up the time.

The info on the folk dances is great.

I have also read that one can see the opera either by the English tour in the evening or by buying a cheap ticket 500HUF. If one buys the cheap tickets to the opera, can one see the Opera while the show is on ? And should one book tickets in advance ?

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hungarian Folk Dances

Blue text on the right hand side of the page. Here is a more direct link

…shutterfly.com/fivedaysinbudapest/19

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hungarian Folk Dances

Thats what i love about this forum. Thanks TopBudapest.... Didnt know about Kobuci and looked it up. I think you might find me in there one evening week after next. Looks great.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hungarian Folk Dances

Sorry about not getting back earlier.

Opera tours are in the afternoon with English guides http://www.opera.hu/en/operalatogatas

You can indeed buy a cheap ticket (during your stay it is only ballet - Romeo and Juliet from 6pm) for HUF 500 and take a look around in the interval. Bear in mind that the holders of the cheapest tickets (or more precisely all the balcony tickets) enter the Opera House through a side door and climb many stairs in a, how to put it nicely, simply not beautiful and far from spectacular staircase (ticket holders of the stalls, and official tour participants on the other hand can enjoy the famous stairs, etc.)

Booking in advance is a good idea.

Thank you Bobandco, I also like this forum, and learn a lot from you guys. If you do go, you will have a chance to change your profile pic with the Kobuci dancer pic. :)

Washington DC
Level Contributor
80 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hungarian Folk Dances

Thanks. I think we will take the Opera tour. Would like to see the famous stairs etc.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hungarian Folk Dances

Every time I visit I see young people out front of the Basilica and a couple of places on Vaci Utca with colorful flyers and clip boards. They usually have a little sign board with them. They will ask you if you would like to see them dance. The first time I saw them I figured it was a scam because they would ask you to pick your night and then ask for advance payment. Since the tickets were so cheap I finally bought one on a whim. What a show!!!

Turns out these kids are working their way through school and many if not all of them are the actual dancers.

The show was full of all the traditional dances from the various regions of Hungary and the costumes and music were thrilling. We even got to see the famous "bottle dance."

If I can fit it into my schedule, I always go for this performance. It is in a hall just on the Buda side of the Lanchid and a block or two to the right. I don't know the name of it, but it is worth every penny to see it. You can even get CD's after the show.