We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is mid july too hot and humid to stay more than 2 days?

boston
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
is mid july too hot and humid to stay more than 2 days?

trying to decide how to divide 8 days between prague and budapest in mid july. heard budapest is way too hot then and should be avoided. so thinking only 2 days and 6 in prague. what do you thonk?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is mid july too hot and humid to stay more than 2 days?

I think you will be bored to tears with that schedule. You will kick yourself for not reversing it. If you can take the humidity on the east coast you can handle Budapest.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
4,888 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is mid july too hot and humid to stay more than 2 days?

What do you think the temps are in Prague?

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is mid july too hot and humid to stay more than 2 days?

I've enjoyed our summer trips to Budapest,, but then being from TX the only time the heat bothers me is when i am trying to sleep which is why we always stay in an apartment with air conditioningg thatt i can control. Europeans seem to be more tolerant of high indoor temperatures than i am. It wasn't any better for us in Prague.

For me the ideal trip would be 3 days in Prague, 1 day travel and 4 full days in Budapest. Here is an idea for what to do in Budapest …shutterfly.com/fivedaysinbudapest

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,943 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is mid july too hot and humid to stay more than 2 days?

Hi Frogfarm,

I think if you look into average temps for both Budapest and Prague they would be very similar. So if warm is your issue, you may want to head much further north - say the Nordics? As for the day split, first resolve whether you will be comfortable in Central Europe in July. Then we'll tackle that topic.

Look into the weather tables at BBC Weather, Weather Channel, etc.

Jeremy

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is mid july too hot and humid to stay more than 2 days?

I'm in agreement with Jeremy. I doubt that there is much (if any) difference between Budapest and Prague at theat time of year.

If you can take Boston in July without A/C, Budapest is no problem. If you need the typical refigerator style A/C, then things get a little dicey. Typically you won't get that.

Another thing to remember is that window screens to keep out assorted insects are not common in Europe. So opening one's windows to let in the cooler air in the evenings may bring unwanted guests.

budapest
Level Contributor
449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: is mid july too hot and humid to stay more than 2 days?

Here are the climatic averages for Budapest and Prague in July: Having been living in both cities, these pretty much seem to be my personal experience as well (ca 4-5 degrees difference, both summer and winter).

Note, though, that short term variance is pretty high (as visible in the temperature range as well)

Budapest

Temperature 21°C 70°F

Low Temperature 15°C 59°F

High Temperature 26°C 79°F

Sunshine Hours 12 hrs

Rainfall 52mm

Rainfall days 10 days

Prague

Temperature 17°C 63°F

Low Temperature 12°C 54°F

High Temperature 22°C 72°F

Sunshine Hours 11 hrs

Rainfall 68mm

Rainfall days 14 days

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is mid july too hot and humid to stay more than 2 days?

As in any other city, the quality of the hotel will determine the amenities provided. Certainly if you decide to travel on the cheap you may not get screens or a/c, but all decent hotels in Budapest will have a/c or at the very least screens on the windows.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is mid july too hot and humid to stay more than 2 days?

Don, Untrue I think.. Of course, I know by now you don't consider the Gellert as even a 'decent' hotel. OTOH, I have examined some others and found no screens. Have you ever stayed at the Gellert? And I don't think one should describe it as 'cheap.' Nor do I think Ithat I travel 'on the cheap' either, compared to many of the posters here. I think that I am what appears on my profile 'middle of the road.' Why you keep implying that I'm wildly a 'budget' traveller rotally escapes me. I'd be sendint this as a PM but you wouldn't answer. And - quite frankly, I would not stay at the Gellert in July.

The real point here is that it all depends on what the OP 'needs' in order to be comfortable. If it's the srt of refrigeration and hernetically sealed stuff that is often on the East coast, that's one thing. If it's less than that, then it's another.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is mid july too hot and humid to stay more than 2 days?

Frankly, Oddone, I wasn't even thinking about you when I wrote that. It's not always about you. I have stayed at the Gellert as well one other hotel on the Buda side. I have stayed at MANY hotels on the Pest side, so I speak from experience...my experience.

It pays to read the list of amenities at the top of the review pages to see exactly what you will get at any particular place. Most frequent European travelers from the US have noticed the "Star Rating" can be quite a bit different from what Americans are used to.Since I am from the desert, I am quite comfortable just opening the windows at night as long as there are screens. On the other hand, there are friends and family members who can't sleep unless they crank the a/c down cold enough to refrigerate a head of lettuce.

When in the countryside, one can't be so picky. There have been times when the only option in a town was to open the non-screened windows so I could breath only to be eaten alive by moquitoes. But in Budapest, especially on the Pest side, there are a vast array of hotels in nearly every price range where you will find a/c or at the least screens.

budapest
Level Contributor
449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: is mid july too hot and humid to stay more than 2 days?

I had once business guests in UK from USA. We reserved them exceptionally nice hotel, one of the old landmark hotels (couple of hundred years old manson). After first night they complained that hotel was "old".... i moved them to Holiday Inn. Everybody was happier.

American and European understanding on great hotels can be sometimes very different.