We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay? Budapest 5 or 7?

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
594 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay? Budapest 5 or 7?

We are a couple with a 2.75yr old visting in a few weeks. I have found apartments in both locations and I cannot decide which to pick. Which located is better for us to get to everything easily with a stroller? The one on Budapest 5 is on a pedestrian street.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay? Budapest 5 or 7?

Hi jaee,

Without knowing the specific address - or at least street names, I would default to 5, as it is the most central district. While Budapest has it's share of cobblestone streets and paths, most are of a smooth surface, so you'll be fine with a stroller. Note if you're planning on using the metro - you will have to carry the stroller up the stairs depending upon the line and station. Same true with some trams and buses, where you will have to climb/descend a couple of stairs.

At a macro level - District 5 sounds solid, especially if it's on a pedestrian street.

Jeremy

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
594 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay? Budapest 5 or 7?

Thanks for your msg.

The Budapest 5 apartment is on 1075 Budapest, VII. kerület, Síp utca .

and the 7 is next to New York restaurant which i blive is highly recommended. I dont know the exact street address for this one.

And of course the 5 apartment is bigger but not as nice and the 7 is smaller but really nice. tough decisions. i think since we have a little one along, we'll go for location rather than apartment ambience.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay? Budapest 5 or 7?

Hi jaee,

The Sip Utca location is the District 7 location, and it's a solid location. You are only a couple blocks from the dead heart of the city. Some potential leisurely walking times (with a stroller)...

- To Deak ter - 10 minutes

- To Chain Bridge - 20 minutes

- To Metro stop (Astoria) - 5 minutes

- To great restaurants/pubs/coffee shops - 5 minutes

Not knowing where the D5 apartment is, this location is solid. While some of the are of the D7 neighborhood is not renovated and may look rough, it's absolutely safe and in a nice part of the city location wise. I'd go with the SIP location if you like better.

Jeremy

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
594 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay? Budapest 5 or 7?

Thanks again Jeremy. Those walking times are not so bad at all.

There is another apt available at 1056 Budapest, V. kerület, Váci utca . wont this be noisy at night since the apt is on the 1st floor?

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay? Budapest 5 or 7?

Vaci utca is a pedestrian street primarily (some delivery/security vehicles drive on it occasionally.) The 1st floor is one level above street level, so the noise may or may not be bad. I lived in that area on Haris Koz on the 5th floor and did not like it since the street was narrow with cobblestone - it seemed every noise was amplified since the narrowness, and the cobblestones magnified anyone going by with a wheel........A lot depends on the location of the bedrooms - are they "street side?"

It may be a question you want to ask - or look at reviews of that specific location. The nice part about it is the location - smack dab city center. But, as a crow flies, it's less than 1/2 kilometer from the other location or about a 10ish minute walk.....

Both locations are solid. You initially liked the D7 one more.....not knowing a bunch, I'd go with your gut.....

Jeremy

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay? Budapest 5 or 7?

Jeremy is our resident expert on places for children to play. Where are the large and small (and pocket) parks in relationship to these locales? And are there places to eat with kid sized portions?

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
594 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay? Budapest 5 or 7?

it says the apartment faces inside. all these apts have good reviews so its upto me i guess :).

Did you mean the Vaci Utca location is 10mins from the Sip location? i think i might go with that one... esp since it has a lift in the building and the one near the restaurant New York doesnt and is on the 3rd floor. too bad coz thats a nice apartment.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
594 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay? Budapest 5 or 7?

oh I would love to know about playgrounds too!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay? Budapest 5 or 7?

Hey Don,

Good note.....there are 3 parks within 20 minute walk from the SIP location that we frequent (times would be about the same for Vaci location)...we also have a young child.

1. 10 minutes from SIP utca - via walking diagonally under the Astoria stop - popping out by McDonalds and walking past it. Take the 1st right on Ferency Istvan utca. About 100 meters ahead is an oasis of green and a delightful small park surrounded by flats.

2. 20ish minutes from SIP utca - Szabadszag ter. It has swings, slides, a fountain, etc. Plus a coffee shop in the middle. Nice place to spend some time. About a 4-5 minute walk from Parliament. Have a look. Our favorite on the Pest side due to location and facilities and we eat lunch close to there are Iguana often.

3. Erszebet ter. About 10ish minutes from SIP, close to Deak and immediately across from the Kempinski hotel. I'm not here often, and I cannot recall swings or a small childs play area.....but it is a nice shaded park with some benches to relax a bit...maybe on your way to Szabadsag ter.

And yes - the locations are about 10ish minutes apart, maybe 15 with a stroller!

This is a start. Have fun - and thanks for the reminder Don!

Jeremy

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
594 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay? Budapest 5 or 7?

OK i am going to go with the biggest apartment in Sip. phewww!

thanks for the playground info, I am going to print this out to take with me.

Any reccos for restaurants with local food and kid friendly will be great too. What are the must-haves? both of us, including our daughter are foodies so food is a big part of our holidays.