We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buda castle and Hungarian National Gallery

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
345 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Buda castle and Hungarian National Gallery

I am a bit confused. when I googled Buda Castle, the link shown is : http://www.mng.hu/ and when I click on the link, it will show the National Gallery, is it the same??

thanks for any info.

Szada, Pest, Hungary
Level Contributor
425 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buda castle and Hungarian National Gallery

The national gallery is located in the building of Buda castle.

Buda castle is not a museum palace as a whole (like the Schönbrunn palace in Vienna), the building is used for several purposes.

But the castle hill is much more than castle building itself: the Matthias church, the Fishermans' bastion and many other things are located on the castle hill - but out of the castle building.

I hope I was clear...

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buda castle and Hungarian National Gallery

The Castle houses two museums. The northern 4/5' ths is the Museum (Gallery) of Hungarian Art. he southern 1/5 houses the Museum of Buda. Pesronally, I found the Museum of Buda more interesting than the National Gallery.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Buda castle and Hungarian National Gallery

Hello Tachyon,

as mentioned above each institute within the castle has their own life, with their own opening hours, entrance fees, themes, etc.

The courtyard of the castle is not fenced off, so you can just freely wander about, no time constraints either - open all day.

Occasionally you can enjoy some of the best festivals in Budapest in the Buda Castle too.

Were you looking for some specific info?

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
345 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buda castle and Hungarian National Gallery

Thank you all, now I understand, I was thinking something like visiting the castle instead of museums within the castle, I will check the 2 museums and take note of Oddone's advice.

TopBudapest, thanks for your input, no, I do not have anything specific in mind but rather I like to see what is there to offer when I am around... will keep checking on the website..

BTW, experts, I know this is an old common question, but I would like your opinions, is it a good time to visit during December?? will it be crowded with tourists..

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Buda castle and Hungarian National Gallery

Hello Tachyon, visiting in Dec is all about your preferences again. It is definitely far less touristy than in the high season (July - August especially). Local tourism, however, makes Budapest slightly more crowded as several people travel to the capital to do their holiday shopping at the shops (especially at the malls), and at the festive street stalls. Here are a few usual Dec events (some may be rescheduled though, so it is worth checking upcoming events 2-3 weeks before your trip)

…topbudapest.org/by-months/things-to-do-in-b…

There are always lots of concerts, exhibitions, and more - it depends on what you like doing

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Buda castle and Hungarian National Gallery

I for one very much enjoyed the art gallery. I spent an entire day there from opening time to closing time and still didn't have enough time to see everything. It is really very good.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,468 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buda castle and Hungarian National Gallery

If you like winter travel, early december (say, the 5th-15th) is a joy in Budapest ... seasonal, celebratory, not too crowded at all, hot wine in front of every cafe, christmas markets ... some years some snow...

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
345 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buda castle and Hungarian National Gallery

Thank you all for all the valuable information. personally I would love to see Budapest , Prague and Vienna in winter...but was a bit undecided fearing everything would be closed and days are short and etc. After reading all your comments, it should be fun afterall....I will check the link for concerts and exhibition, i enjoy both..

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buda castle and Hungarian National Gallery

I seem to remember that the National Gallery is closed on Mondays - if that is the day you want to visit check first.

10. Re: Buda castle and Hungarian National Gallery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 19:16