We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest Hotel for 1 night prior to cruise

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,201 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest Hotel for 1 night prior to cruise

We are traveling on a Christmas River Cruise, departing Budapest Dec. 9. Thinking about arriving one day early, in case of weather delays. Are there any hotel suggestions that would aid us in selecting that one night, prior to boarding the cruise.

Thank you so much for your suggestions.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,484 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest Hotel for 1 night prior to cruise

hard to know without knowing which dock you'll be leaving from ... they are arrayed all along both sides of the river

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,201 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest Hotel for 1 night prior to cruise

I will try to find out. It is Uniworld, River Beatrice.

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest Hotel for 1 night prior to cruise

Best if you arrive several days early, enjoy the city, see a show, go to the Christmas markets, play in the snow, eat outrageously good food.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,201 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest Hotel for 1 night prior to cruise

Markets are a must ! Any shows or restaurants , are a "do not miss?" Have not revisited Budapest in 30 years!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest Hotel for 1 night prior to cruise

Queeni: WOW!!! 30 years? You have me beat. I have only been going there every year since 1986.

If I were you, I would stay at the Marriott. It is right on the river and literally EVERY room in the hotel looks out at the castle and the bridges. It has a great breakfast buffet and you will be no more than 10 minutes by taxi to any of the boats, no matter where they are moored. In addition, if you want to see the Christmas market, it is only two short blocks away.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,201 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest Hotel for 1 night prior to cruise

Well, I was a little off. It was 1974, when we were there. Drove from Vienna. Still remember crossing the border. Still remember that 1.5 hour border "search", passing the chimney sweeps, villages with no lights and welcoming people.

We love the Christmas Markets and look forward to visiting several that will be new to us.

Will check out the Marriott. I am big into the Hilton Honors program, but will keep an open mind.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budapest Hotel for 1 night prior to cruise

I have stayed at the Hilton Castle, and while it is a very nice place, it is so inconvenient to get up and down the hill and over to Pest where most of the sights are located. You might also consider the Hilton City, but it too is in an inconvenient location for you. There is also a Christmas Market in front of the Basilica which is only about a 5-10 minute walk from the one on Vorosmarti Ter.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budapest Hotel for 1 night prior to cruise

I remember the old border crossing from the "old days". I had the bad luck to be on a study tour, and some idiot on the bus lost her passport. Since I speak enough Hungarian, I knew what was going to happen. My companion and I jumped up and offered our passports first, and then just kept walking and got off the bus. There was a little tourist shop across the road and we went in and bought a bottle of palinka. We sat on the bench outside and watched border patrol toss the entire bus while we finished off the bottle!

Scotland
Level Contributor
265 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Budapest Hotel for 1 night prior to cruise

Hi Queeni - Don's suggestion of the Marriott is a good one, with quaysides, markets and good restaurants (avoid those on Vaci ut.) all within easy reach. And Bob's advice about coming a few days earier is also sound, if you can make the time.

Oh, and talking about "difficult" border crossings back in the day, going from Jugoslavia into Albania at the Han i Hotit bridge crossing in 1984 lives with me to this day, and not necessarily in a good way although, once in, the ordinary people were incredibly pleased to meet folk from another country. Much like you found in 1974, I imagine.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,201 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budapest Hotel for 1 night prior to cruise

Great information. I will check out the Marriott.

Our memories are all so vivid. Looking forward to going back after all these years.

Thanks SO much!