We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How should I spend 7 nights in Hungary?

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
How should I spend 7 nights in Hungary?

I am planning to spend 7 days in Hungary in August by myself and am not sure how to divide my time. I assume I should stay in Budapest the majority of the nights and go on a few day trips from there but Pecs and Eger sound interesting as well.

I am primarily a city person but would like to get a little bit of a sense of what Hungary is like outside of Budapest.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,518 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How should I spend 7 nights in Hungary?

Are you prepared to hire a car and drive, or does it have to be public transport ?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How should I spend 7 nights in Hungary?

I will be traveling by train and/or bus.

I will be flying into Budapest and plan to at least spend the first 4 nights there. I'm not sure if I should stay in Budapest all 7 nights and just take day trips or spend a few nights exploring other parts of the country.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How should I spend 7 nights in Hungary?

You are right that 3-4 full days should be spent in Budapest. For an idea of how to really see the other 80% that is the real Hungary, I suggest you look at the following thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g274887-i263-k4864…

Check post # 20 to see how to get to these places.

You can easily just jump a local bus from any of these cities and instanly be out in the countryside where you will find thatched roof farm houses and horse drawn wagons...the real Hungary!

Let me know if you need any specific info.

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How should I spend 7 nights in Hungary?

How to spend 7 nights in Budapest? Eating and drinking. There is no place better. Wait! Eating, Drinking and the Theater or Concert.

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How should I spend 7 nights in Hungary?

A sample Itinerary and some other ideas and resources are athttp://budapestflat.shutterfly.com/fivedaysinbudapest :

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How should I spend 7 nights in Hungary?

You can also get to Sopron or Pecs by train. (They're in the western part of Hungary, and would probably be an overnight trip - each.) Eger can be a day trip on the bus.

Eger has the most tourists, but is well worth a visit.

Sopron is very 'Austrian,' and has a very small (and walkable) city centre, to the edge of which you can easily get by the city bus from the RR station.

Pecs is unlike any other part of Hungary I've visited. The historic center is quite a lot larger than that of Sopron, but still very accessible. Getting to the edge of it by bus is a bit less obvious than in Sopron, but quite possible.

I suggest that you look at the Sopron and Pecs forums and read any trip reports you see there.

Greenwood Village...
Level Contributor
138 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How should I spend 7 nights in Hungary?

>> Eger has the most tourists, but is well worth a visit.

Do you think Eger is a better visit than Szentendre?

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How should I spend 7 nights in Hungary?

I've not been to Szentendre. It's closer and quicker to get to than Eger, which would leave more time to visit. Hopefully someone else who can compare them will reply.

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How should I spend 7 nights in Hungary?

I would suggest sticking with the "standard" side trips for your first visit. there is aa reason that they are popular. Sometimes we get too clever by half. Szentendre is a great half to full day trip. Take the train up and the boat back. Entering Budapest by boat is grand! Eger can be done in a day but its a hard day. Morning train out and late train back. Much better to spend the night. I like the Senator House in Eger. Another option is the full Danube Bend tour which is a hard days travel but worth the effort. You can also do Vienna or Melk as a day trip; and there are some interesting places in Slovakia that you can do as a day or overnight trip; but i wouldnt mess with any of that until after Eger and Szentendre (or the whole Bend Trip).

10. Re: How should I spend 7 nights in Hungary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 01:41