We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Budapest to Prague

Cambridge, MA
12 posts
Save Topic
Train from Budapest to Prague

Hello all,

I'm spending a few days in Budapest for a friends wedding before heading north to Prague on the train (leaving on a Monday morning). So here are my questions:

1. Is the train the best way to get there? Is renting a car and doing a one-way rental an option?

2. How long does the train take?

3. How much does it cost?

4. Would it be possible to get off the train and have lunch somewhere en route, and would it be worth doing so?

5. Is it necessary to reserve seats?

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance!

JP

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
222 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

Hi,

We are going in May, and I've been looking into that as well. A good numer to call is Rail Europe, 800-4EURAIL.

From Budapest to Prague is 61/2 hours. It's $110 and $22 extra for a reserved seat. If I remember correctly, you do need to purchase a ticket ahead of time.

We were told the one-way car rental is very expensive.

We are going to spend 2 nights south of Vienna for a respite from Budapest and Prague and to break up the train travel.

Hope that helps -

Patuli

Cambridge, MA
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

Hey Patuli,

I've had a quick look into car rental and found a website that offers one-way rental for less than 100 USD. Check out autoeurope.com. Although unfortunately a stick (as most are in eastern europe I'd imagine), the price is for one day (enough to drive to Prague I'm sure...it's only 350 miles or so) and includes all insurance.

At that price, I might give it some thought (although I have images in my head of that film 'Just Married' - ha!).

Hope that helps.

JP

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

Do never buy a ticket from Raileurope! Their fares are much higher! Seat reservations for USD 22? Usually it's about EUR 3 (USD 3,69).

Buy your tickets when you are there. Trains can never be sold out (only at raileurope).

For timetables have a look at www.elvira.hu www.idos.cz or my favorite: www.bahn.de --> Internat. Guests

A little example on raileurope-fares:

4 adults, Vienna-Salzburg

OEBB (national railways), 2nd class: EUR 121,80 (USD 149,73), 1st class EUR 185,40 (USD 227,90).

Raileurope:

2nd class: USD 260 1st class: 376

+ 15 USD handling fee makes 275 USD, so it's more than the double price! I think this example says all!

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
222 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

Thanks Robbi for the info. on the train fare -

And now with the car rental info, maybe we'll consider that, but JP, my husband and I will have a 'just married' experience, I'm sure. We rented a car in Germany and he ended up driving on a bike path! The bikers were shaking their heads and laughing at us. He did a 300 point turn to get out of that one.

Patuli -

Cambridge, MA
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

That's exactly why we won't to do it...and being from Boston, we'll easily be able to sleep in a snowbank for a night (although not much chance of that in the summer).

Let us know how your trip goes.

JP

PS - have you read all the postings about pickpocketers in Prague? Kinda scary, but I guess if you're stupid about your money/wallet then you're asking for trouble.

Cambridge, MA
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

That's exactly why we want to do it...and being from Boston, we'll easily be able to sleep in a snowbank for a night (although not much chance of that in the summer).

Let us know how your trip goes.

JP

PS - have you read all the postings about pickpocketers in Prague? Kinda scary, but I guess if you're stupid about your money/wallet then you're asking for trouble.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
425 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

Hello JP,

My answers - hope that I can help you with these:

1. there are "rapid" trains, I think that's better

2-3. find it on the net!

4. There are usually restaurants on the train!

5. Yes.

Have a great marriage-party,

Ancsi

Chile
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

Can anyone tell me how much costs the train ticket from Budapest to Prague, if you buy it at the train station? I am thinking of doing it during the night, that means paying an extra fee for the couchette. Does anyone know how much does it cost, and how many couchettes or beds are there in each "room"?

Thanks,

AD

Chicago
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

Quick update on AutoEurope.com. The rate quoted on the site is far less expensive than the actual rate. We were quoted $174.00 USD on a one-way 24 hour rental (mid-sized VW) and on confirmation told that there would likely be destination charges in addition. We recieved an e-mail indicating that total costs would be $894. The good news is that AutoEurope was very quick to refund the deposit as the rental was cancelled pre-pickup. Interesting times in Budapest this week with the Prime Minister economic stability mistruths being leaked.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,082 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

Car hire usually does not include the vignette (motorway toll, called matrica in Hungary). You would need to add this for both countries.

My advice would be to take the train: I have driven it, and it's exhausting. You are going to have to take a day over it anyway, so why not let someone else do the work ? you will see a lot more as well, and may get to talk to some of the natives.

Is there any way of talking your friends out of the wedding ? you could still do the trip anyway, without the tragedy of a wedding to spoil it LOL