We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days?

ct
Level Contributor
158 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
How many days?

We have a total of 7 full days in July(I've taken the additional travel time off already). I would like to split the time between Vienna and Budapest. How would you do it?? Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Scotland
Level Contributor
266 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days?

Five in Budapest, two in Vienna, if you have to go to Vienna at all.

Others will disagree with me, but hey, this is a Budapest forum and there is so much to do and see.

Have a great time however you split it up.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days?

Hi lttCt,

What do you like when traveling to Europe? What do you like to see/do (I.e., museums, outdoors, historical places, great food, etc.) share some insights and I'll be able to better share an answer. Both cities have their positives....

Jeremy

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,203 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days?

In general, I am not a huge fan of Vienna ... it strikes me as very expensive, austere, unwelcoming. Not a bad place to visit but 5/2 favoring Budapest would seem about right so long as you had two full days in Vienna. Unless you favor classical music (in which case a more even split might make sense, but July is a dead zone both places) or wandering great art Museums (in which case about a day in each will take care of you), or dislike cities that are a bit less polished, the balance would surely tip towards Budapest.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days?

Budapest is the dirty sister of Vienna.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
ct
Level Contributor
158 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days?

We like historical places, good food, wandering around the neighborhoods- museums-for a quick overview of anything interesting-

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days?

If you are interested in pickeled remains of lost 19th century glory, and that is a very legitimate interest, then you will prefer Vienna. Budapest is more of a city still trying to figure out how to transition from the early days of the 20th century. In Vienna you can see museums full of portraits and relics of the empire, while in Budapest you can still see the bullet holes of the 56 uprising or are those holes from WWII? Really no way to know for sure. Vienna has great opera and concerts for the tourists, Budapest's aren't quite as good buy they ate for the locals. One place is more real, the other more 'prepared' for the tourist.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days?

If you are interested in pickeled remains of lost 19th century glory, and that is a very legitimate interest, then you will prefer Vienna. Budapest is more of a city still trying to figure out how to transition from the early days of the 20th century. In Vienna you can see museums full of portraits and relics of the empire, while in Budapest you can still see the bullet holes of the 56 uprising or are those holes from WWII? Really no way to know for sure. Vienna has great opera and concerts for the tourists, Budapest's aren't quite as good buy they are for the locals. One place is more real, the other more 'prepared' for the tourist.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
ct
Level Contributor
158 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days?

Thanks for your help!

9. Re: How many days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 06:15