We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest two centre city break where would you recommend?

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
BELFAST
Level Contributor
443 posts
209 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest two centre city break where would you recommend?

My wife and I visited Budapest in 2008 for our 25th wedding anniversary. My wife loved it, I enjoyed it. She has always wanted to return and as our 30th anniversary is approaching I was thinking of as a surprise returning but I like visiting new cities etc. What other cities could be easy visited from Budapest. My plan would be to stay 2 nights in Budapest then by train to visit another city (country) around a 3 hour train jouney if possible. Stay 2 nights then return to Budapest again for our final night. Last time we were able to fly direct from Belfast but that route was removed, this time our options are to fly from Dublin (2 hour drive) or one of the London airports.

Thank you for any suggestions

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest two centre city break where would you recommend?

Hi 1stTB,

I think the best town that fits your description is Vienna. It's a 3-hour train ride, a lovely city with many sites, especially if you enjoy music and museums. I enjoy Vienna once a year for the Christmas markets and enjoy it quite a bit.

Another option is a small town in Hungary I have become quite fond of - Lillafured. I greatly enjoy theis place due to the fabulous Hotel Palota. hunguesthotels.hu/en/… The town is small in a wonderful setting with mountains, a lake, a small train, etc. If you are looking for a nature getaway, have a look at Lillafured. I cannot say enough about the hotel and beautiful setting. You would take a train to Miskolc and have the hotel retrieve you.

Two nice places for vastly different reasons, in much different geographic landscapes. Have a look. What time of year are you coming?

Best,

Jeremy

BELFAST
Level Contributor
443 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest two centre city break where would you recommend?

Jeremy thanks for your suggestions. I have never heard of Lillafured and it sounds lovely and just what we would enjoy. We would be coming around Easter time next year approx 29th March - 2/3rd April depending on flight costs and arrival times etc. Vienna I have heard is beautiful. We just like to walk around have look at things, a bit of culture but not overboard, look at the view etc chil out enjoy coffee/cakes, the odd glass of wine and nice meals etc. things you can't normally do 9-5. In case of bad weather and rain I look for a hotel that has a pool or spa etc that we can spend some time in. Would you have a suggestion of a good reasonably priced hotel in Vienna - no doubt it will be a lot more expensive than Budapest. I couldn't believe how reasonable the 5* hotel cost the last time we stayed in Budapest. I will check both out in more detail - any idea of the return train fare to both destinations, how long to Lillafured and what station do we depart from in Budapest, times and frequency and help is greatly appreciated.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest two centre city break where would you recommend?

Hi 1stTB,

Vienna - we stay in LeMeridien typically (I have reviewed the property on TA). Great location, nice rooms, what you'd expect from a LeM. From a bit better budget, we have also stayed in the Starlight Suites. The SS is solid, no frills in a great locations (two properties in district one), nice large rooms and a basic breakfast.

You would leave Keleti train station for Miskolc (I'm 98% certain). I suppose also around 3 hours as regrettably the trains cannot go too fast because of the need for real upgrades (currently underway). I'm assuming the train leaves multiple times daily - check www.mav.hu for details. The Hotel Palota in Lillafured has a really nice spa, with proper massages, various pools, salt room, steam rooms, etc. But outside of the hotel, walking around is a bit limited outside of a nice trail around the lake, and a walk through the very small town.

In late March, both Vienna and Lillafured should be showing initial signs of spring.

Jeremy

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,518 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest two centre city break where would you recommend?

I guess it depends what you want to do: Lillafured is a great place to chill out, but not much else goes on there. Vienna is a capital city with all that entails, bustling streets, restaurants and cafes etc, and one of the world's great art galleries, the Kunsthistorische: as the former capital of the Austrian empire, there is a lot of culture to see.

I was in Noszvaj, near Lillafured, in March, the weather was unseasonably warm and we were able to do some walking in the surrounding hills (where snow was lying in the hidden valleys). However, apparently it was decidedly unpleasant the week after I came home. If the weather isn't good (possible at that time of year) then Vienna will have more to offer.

You pays your money...

BELFAST
Level Contributor
443 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest two centre city break where would you recommend?

Thanks RomanCitizen and Jeremy F for your posts and advice on Balance if 2 centre looks like Vienna especially at that time of year. re: the LeMeridien is it walkable from the train station it and the Starlight Suites look to be quite suitable - depending on Budget nearer the time. Would either of you have any other 1/2 decent hotel recommendations for me to look at in Vienna - good central easy to walk to the sites. In Budapest we stayed in the Corinthia Grand Hotel but I doubt that we will get a hotel of that quality for the same price in Vienna any booking agents that you would recommend?

Thanks again

Edited: 22 June 2012, 13:33
6. Re: Budapest two centre city break where would you recommend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2013, 05:16