We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vat/ Customs Office for Refund at Budapest Airport Hours?

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
47 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Vat/ Customs Office for Refund at Budapest Airport Hours?

Hi

I want to buy a LV bag in Budapest bc I am assuming with the exchange rate that it is cheaper than in the USA. That being said, I have a super early flight out of Budapest on Weds that takes off to Sicily at 6AM. Does anyone know what the hours are for this office/booth? I prob be at the airport around 4:30am

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,238 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vat/ Customs Office for Refund at Budapest Airport Hours?

if you are flying to Sicily then you can't get any VAT refund in Budapest - you have to do that at your last port of call in the EU, wherever that may be - i.e. the airport from where you fly back from the EU to New York, or if that airport is not in the EU, the place where you exit the EU if VAT refund facilities exist at all.

The trouble you have to go through is such that it is hardly worth the trouble, though, and you will only get a proportion of it.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vat/ Customs Office for Refund at Budapest Airport Hours?

GCEK and I agree on 99.999% of posts, but not this time. The VAT refund process is quite simple. Show the item, the receipt, etc. instructions on line. It's a 10ish minute process once you are at window if you have everything in order.

Jeremy

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,238 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vat/ Customs Office for Refund at Budapest Airport Hours?

But this transaction will only be taking place in Budapest if it is the last point of call in the EU - they won't let you do it if you are continuing to Italy ...

new york
Level Contributor
47 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vat/ Customs Office for Refund at Budapest Airport Hours?

Can i do then the Vat in Italy if ii buy something in Budapest?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,238 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vat/ Customs Office for Refund at Budapest Airport Hours?

If you are flying back to New York from Italy that is where you do it. It has to be the last point in the EU.

6. Re: Vat/ Customs Office for Refund at Budapest Airport Hours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2013, 05:42