We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metal Music Scene?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Metal Music Scene?

Hey All - thanks for the great info in these forums. I really think that the forums are the best place to find info on TripAdvisor!

I'll be in Budapest for about three days in late August and was wondering if any of you guys can point me in the direction of where to find a taste of the Budapest metal scene. My friend and I are relatively hard-charging Americans with a penchant for heavy music. Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated - and if you live in Budapest, I'll even buy you a beer if we can find an awesome spot to headbang!

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Comme Chez Soi
££ - £££, Italian, Mediterranean, European
Bors GasztroBar
£, Fast food, International, European
Desszert.Neked
££ - £££, French, Cafe, European
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metal Music Scene?

You need to time your visit for the huge music festival held on the island in the middle of the Danube. It has been know as the Pepsi Island Fstival, the Sziget Festival, etc. Google it. There are only about 300-400,000 people there every year. It is the largest festival of its type in that part of the world. You would feel like a real dumbo if you showed up two days after it was over.

Mentioned in this post
Sziget Festival
Sziget Festival
129 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metal Music Scene?

Thanks for the reply...a Dumbo I will be as we won't be in town until a few days after the end of that festival. The Amon Amarth show would have been great to see!

I'm probably more comfortable in a smaller venue anyway. Hopefully we can find something that fits the bill.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metal Music Scene?

I will try to find a couple of cuts I have (had) on my YouTube account until they "improved" it. I will look but no guarantees. It had some pretty edgy stuff in a Hungarian sort of way shot in the clubs.

Greenwood Village...
Level Contributor
139 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metal Music Scene?

How about live music pubs? Any that tend to have heavier stuff? Saw a couple pics of Kaplung (?) that looked like a metal crowd, though obviously hard to tell without sound.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Metal Music Scene?

Hi Dr,

A38 is a regular concert venue with some metal concerts (right now featuring Saint Vitus, punk, heavy metal)

http://a38.hu/en/

How about this event at A38?

Watch My Dying

24.08.Friday.20H

roof terrace

Ticket price: 700.- Ft, In advance: 700.- Ft

heavy metal

If it doesn't suit your schedule, you may just talk to some like minded guys, here are some metal shops you can contact

facebook.com/MetalShop.Hu.Hammer.Zenebarlang

email zenebarlang@hammerworld.hu

Hammerworld has a collection of metal concerts for August

Black Noise Festival (FEKETE ZAJ FESZTIVÁL 2012): 17-19 August away from Budapest in a nice countryside place called Mátrafüred-Sóstó

SÓLSTAFÍR (Izland), HOCICO (Mexikó), XENOMORPH (német), VOID OV VOICES (Csihar Attila projekt), OZONE MAMA, VÁGTÁZÓ ÉLETERŐ, DERENG, MÁTYÁS ATTILA BAND, SHAPAT TERROR, SPACESH!T etc.

at PeCsa Music Garden on 21 Aug TOTO

at the Congress Centre Budapest 26 Aug JETHRO TULL'S IAN ANDERSON (though for me he is not the metal type of headbanging guy, or is he?)

Then the conveniently located downtown Headbanger metal shop in Budapest

http://www.headbanger.hu/site_hu/index.html

headbang@t-online.hu

Here is a Hungarian concert search engine, which seems to be quite incomplete. I have narrowed your search for metal concerts in Budapest. Unfortunately, nothing shows yet for late Aug

www.koncert.hu/kereses/metal/barmikor/barhol

maybe worth checking a few days before your arrival

You may love the atmosphere of Vittula pub (gothic).

Please note Asylum Pince in Budapest is often recommended but is closed permanently (offered by metalguide but not updated)

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
6. Re: Metal Music Scene?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2013, 05:17