We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hungarian Family Restaurant with gypsy music

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
noosa
Level Contributor
327 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Hungarian Family Restaurant with gypsy music

Looking for a nice, but not too expensive Family Restaurant in Budapest with traditional Hungarian dishes and life gypsy music.

Penzance
Level Contributor
631 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hungarian Family Restaurant with gypsy music

Try the Trofea grill Zuglo.They do foke music/dancing.They've reviewed their restaurants on trip advisor.Sorry abit short.At work.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,673 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hungarian Family Restaurant with gypsy music

Trofea is a buffet style all-you-can-eat restaurant with somewhat higher prices than a buffet might seem to justify, but it's a very good buffet and many locals eat there and especially have parties there. Having said that, I don't think it's really the sort of place you seem to be describing. I would tend to lean more towards Szazeves, very near the Elizabeth Bridge, which basically nails the genre.

As is often noted on this forum, it tends to be a difficult order to fill: the sort of place you describe is basically devoid of anyone but tourists; Hungarians tend to eat traditional Hungarian food at home and more daring or international fare when they go out. And Roma musicians are by and large a tourist phenomenon as well. So you're likeliest best served in a place like Szazeves which caters to tourists, and does so quite well and pretty reasonably.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hungarian Family Restaurant with gypsy music

As John suggests, it is actually hard to find what first time visitors consider to be the "traditional Hungarian dining experience."

If you go to the countryside you will find "Gypsy" (Roma) bands playing for weddings, anniversaries and other parties to be quite common. But even out there it is rare to find a restaurant that has performers on a regular basis.

There are three places in Pest I would recommend for what I think you seek. I know of a few others (especially on Vaci Ut.) that I would not suggest you visit. In addition I know there are a few on the Buda side that might fit your bill but I have not visited them.

We don't know what you mean by "family" restaurant. Are you visiting with children? If so, what ages? The three I recommend are the Reszkakas (1950), Szazeves (1831), and Karpatia (1876). All have what you want but are slightly different. Reszkakas will be the most expensive and the most formal. Szazeves is in a building from the 1600's and is less expensive but I think of it as more a romantic place to dine and might not be right for a bunch of kids. The violins gently coo in your ear there as you dine under candle light. Karpatia is a great giant hall with dark wooden beams and murals on the walls and a Gypsy band that will keep you entertained all night with their raucous renditions. In short, you cannot miss the music when you go there. It is the least expensive and as with the others has a full Hungarian menu.

Penzance
Level Contributor
631 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hungarian Family Restaurant with gypsy music

John,I'm not describing.l'm suggesting.

Edited: 29 June 2012, 16:35
Penzance
Level Contributor
631 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hungarian Family Restaurant with gypsy music

sorry John,miss read your answer

noosa
Level Contributor
327 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hungarian Family Restaurant with gypsy music

Thanks for all the suggestions. I actually posted for my sister, who is currently revisiting Budapest with her kids (aged 13,15 & 17) and our Mom. We used to go there in the 70th and she wants to relive her memories and show her kids food and culture. The Restaurant does not need to be romantic or buffet. Just traditional Hungarian homecooking WITH those crazy gypsy musicians playing in your ear.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hungarian Family Restaurant with gypsy music

I suggest the Karpatia. The musicians will saw their instruments in half as they grind out the Gypsy music.

Penzance
Level Contributor
631 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hungarian Family Restaurant with gypsy music

We went with a friend to Prague who was a lorry driver in th 70s.He could'nt believe how it had changed.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,673 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hungarian Family Restaurant with gypsy music

I find the Karpatia consistently disappointing and overpriced; I also have liked the music more at Szazeves than at Karpatia but I have no idea how consistent the musicians are in either restaurant. But I may be a minority note on this. Rezkakas is a bit over the top for the family group you describe.

For what may well be the most pleasant summertime answer to this question, though, I really like Busulo Juhasz in Buda, with a marvelous tented outdoor garden and superb Roma musician who wander among the diners.

I am also not a huge fan of Remiz, but, like Karpatia, that may put me in a minority and it can be a marvelous outdoor setting for a casual meal.

Edited: 29 June 2012, 22:48
noosa
Level Contributor
327 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hungarian Family Restaurant with gypsy music

I wished they had more time in Budapest. Then they could try them ALL!