We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Budapest to Prague this Wednesday

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
506 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Budapest to Prague this Wednesday

Hi there

It doesn't look like there are any tickets available to be booked. Does anyone know what my options are then? Can I just turn up to the station? If I do this, what type of passage will be available?

We love Budapest and will come back soon, at a different time of year but for now, it is too hot. We've seen nothing and are stuck in our hotel room as the heat has such a bad effect on us.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague this Wednesday

You have had the unfortunate luck to be in Budapest when a heat wave has hit all of Europe (don't blame it on B-pest!) Go out early in the morning for sights, stay in the shade and in cafes during mid-day then resume when the heat subsides.

You can always buy a ticket at the train station. It is usually your easiest option.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,678 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague this Wednesday

Did you try on-line? http://www.mav-start.hu/english/index.php

guide here europetrainsguide.com/Advice/How-to-Buy-Trai…

If you buy on the day, get a return 'excursion' ticket which is €49, or €59 which includes a 3-day travel pass in Prague, which might be useful. This is cheaper than buying a single.

Tickets don't sell out, only the discounted ones do.

There is also the bus www.studentagency.eu - very comfortable with free refreshments, free wi-fi, DVDs (€23 - plenty of tickets still available for this week, except for tomorrow morning)

or else www.orangeways.com

... and don't expect it to much cooler in Prague, it was 37C today :) but looks as though it might cool off a bit to high 20s with thunderstorms all week to freshen the air.

Edited: 02 July 2012, 19:42
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
506 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague this Wednesday

Yes, I saw the thunderstorms and thought this would be a welcome relief! We'll move on when the rain stops :-)

In Australia everything is air conditioned and so, whilst it gets very hot in Summer, you don't really spend much time in the heat. I think you get a couple of extra hours sunlight in Europe too (certainly the further north you go it is a lot more than a few hours difference!) so that makes a difference too.

Anyway, hopefully the heavens will open for us on Wednesday! We've booked the bus, that was very easy, Thanks for the tip :-)

Connecticut
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague this Wednesday

Hi .. and yes the weather here is hot, but just a minor inconvenience. Regarding rail tickets, we wanted to travel by rail from Budapest (Keleti Pau) to Prague (Hlavni Nadrazi) this Friday, 6 July. Our hotel here in Budapest is 3 blocks from Nyugati Pau rail station. Yesterday (Tues), 3 July, I went to buy rail tickets at the station for this Friday to travel to Prague. Within Nyugati there is an international ticket counter to buy tickets. While there on Tuesday the man told us there were only 3 tickets available in 2nd class. But we are a family of 4. He said our ONLY option was to buy the 3 tickets in 2nd class (€29), and one ticket for 1st class (€35). His English was excellent, and seemed honest in telling us this situation. I had no problem booking our trip this way, but after the fact I wonder if buying rail tickets online might have given us 4 tickets in 2nd class. Anyway, my daughter pointed out Friday might be a peak travel day to leave Budapest for a weekend trip, esp with temperatures during the day north of 95°F (35°C).

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,678 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague this Wednesday

Well it seems a decent enough price for 1st class - you might as well have gone the whole hog and got first for all of you :)

As you left it to the last minute the likelihood is that you wouldn't have got four 2nd class tickets at the discounted price. The lowest price is €19, but naturally they sell out first.

It sounds like you got an OK deal.

Of course you could have bought any amount of tickets at the standard price which is about €57 (or the return tickets as mentioned above). They never run out.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
506 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague this Wednesday

We've just arrived in Prague and were very impressed with the bus. I would have no hesitation in doing this again. It was dirt cheap, clean and comfortable. Thanks again.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,678 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague this Wednesday

... actually the standard 2nd price tickets are €88, and I hate to agree, but the bus is really not bad :)

Once upon a time you would have had to drag me kicking and screaming onto a long-distance bus, but these new ones are totally different.

8. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague this Wednesday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2013, 10:15