We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Popular adult beverage suggestions while in Budapest?

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kansas
Level Contributor
142 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Popular adult beverage suggestions while in Budapest?

We will be in Budapest later this summer and will have a few nights open to check out the ruin pubs and some of the other places in town. We were wondering if anyone has any suggestions of popular drinks, beers, coctails etc... that we shpuld order, either "in gemeral" or specific drink at a specific place. (we are stying at the Marriott) but not concerned about walking around the city as long as we stay in the safe neighborhoods, as one would do in any city. Thanks for any tips in advance!

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Popular adult beverage suggestions while in Budapest?

soproni

was nice

tony

Edited: 04 July 2012, 21:21
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,468 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Popular adult beverage suggestions while in Budapest?

Unicum

Hungary
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Popular adult beverage suggestions while in Budapest?

Definitely Unicum.

Scotland
Level Contributor
265 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Popular adult beverage suggestions while in Budapest?

You'll get draft Dreher in the Marriott's Ice Bar and Soproni in the For Sale Pub opposite the Great Market, to name but two.

Cheers.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Popular adult beverage suggestions while in Budapest?

Hey kapntravel,

1. Unicum as a shot (think Jagermesiter)

2. Palinka as a shot (my favorite is the peach - be careful.....quite strong)

3. Bock, Gere or Andras red wines

4. Tokaji dessert wine

5. Wininger white wine

Enjoy wine? Head to DiVino located next to St Istvan's Basillica. Beer and drinks - most any bars. This time of year - with the great weather, sitting outside on the river promenade (including Marriott) is great - but more pricey. Other areas to sit outside include walking street from the Four Seasons to the Basicllica, Liszt Ferenc Ter, Gerloczy, etc.

Enjoy

Jeremy

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Popular adult beverage suggestions while in Budapest?

Unicum popular ? well, in the same way that mouthwash is popular: most foreigners think it is revolting (esp me) but you must definitely try it.

Palinka is the local word for schnapps, i.e. a fruit brandy. Peach is nice, as is apricot (barack in Hungarian, but pronounced borortsk).

Soproni is a local beer.

As a producer of adult oriented beverages (i.e. booze) Hungary is best known for its wines, esp reds, plus Tokaj, which is a white dessert wine known as the King of Wines (and when it's good, it's very very good).

Edited: 05 July 2012, 09:34
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,626 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Popular adult beverage suggestions while in Budapest?

If you can't stomach Unicum, try Unicum Next...I think it's Unicum with a bit of cherry to ease the bitterness.

While Palinka is a schnapps, is of the order of 80-120 proof...not for the faint of heart. You may feel as if you are breathing fire after a shot.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,238 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Popular adult beverage suggestions while in Budapest?

Do Hungarians ever drink Unicum with tonic water? If not - try it, as it takes off the medicinal edge. Czechs call it 'Bavorák' ('Bavarian beer') except it is with Fernet, which is a similar drink.

I've got a bottle of Unicum in the cupboard somewhere - it's been gathering dust for years ...

Edited: 06 July 2012, 04:12
USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Popular adult beverage suggestions while in Budapest?

Anything with a cork.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,468 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Popular adult beverage suggestions while in Budapest?

or, these days, a screwtop...

Palinka and Unicum are the uniquely hungarian spirits/liqueurs ..Jeremy's given you a leg up on wines, though there are books on the subject and lots of great vineyards

Tokaji is (in Louis XIV's words) "the king of wines, the wine of kings" but there are plenty of lousy Tokaji's around ... stick to advice at a place like DiVino to get a sense of the depth and range...

i like Soproni beer and there are some other major national brands (Dreher, Barostyan...) but there is an emerging artisanal beer world out there in Hungary ... recently the If Kavezo on Raday utca switched over entirely to a line of very good artisanal beers but i have had trouble finding anyplace with a wide range of small batch beers ... but you can feel the wave coming ...