We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog parks or popular dog walking areas in Budapest.

Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dog parks or popular dog walking areas in Budapest.

We'll be spending 10 days in Budapest and are interesting in knowing if there are any dog parks or parts of public parks popular with locals walking their dogs.

We always like to to see and pet some while away.

Thanks

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,055 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog parks or popular dog walking areas in Budapest.

Personally, as a dog ownerx2 and dog lover, I would not approach a dog in a public place in Budapest: in fact, I can only think of one dog I know that I would pet in its own home.

There are friendly dogs in Hungary, but be warned that Hungarians traditionally use a dog for a reason - to protect their property: which is why if you do see people walking a dog it often has a muzzle, because if the dog bites someone the owner is in trouble.

It is illegal to take a dog on public transport without a muzzle.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog parks or popular dog walking areas in Budapest.

Not to jump the original question, just to expand it a little. Does any know of any decent hotels that accept dogs? I may have occasion to bring Scooter, the gourmet wonder hound, next summer. Also, I have seen dogs almost everywhere in the city, even curled up under tables at sidewalk cafes. Does anyone know if they are allowed in the Central Market? Never thought to look for them there.

Edited: 06 July 2012, 18:31
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog parks or popular dog walking areas in Budapest.

Hi timh3,

St Istvan park in District XIII along the river has a large dog park. The dog park is separate from the "people park" but right along side. I see people petting dogs in their often. Another place in city center you can find plenty of dogs - especially in summer is Margit Island. This wonderful island has lots of green where dogs can play around.

We have many dogs in our neighborhood in Budapest - and most are very friendly. Obviously, watch out for raised hair and such, but I have not seen any issues. I think Roman is correct in saying dogs are kept for protection - which may be in the country side and larger houses, but most dogs I see in city center are of the smaller variety, and are quite friendly.

Hey Don - I think many hotels allow dogs here. I have seen pets in the Marriott and Boscolo for certain.

Jeremy

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dog parks or popular dog walking areas in Budapest.

Agree with Jeremy regarding the difference between "country" dogs and "city" dogs. There are very few dogs in the country I would approach unless I knew them and they knew me very well. They sleep outside (maybe in a shed, barn or dog house) and they have a job. If you put even one toe on their master's property they will bite if off. That is why you ALWAYS knock at the GATE and not try to go up to the door. City dogs are smaller and live inside. Other than personal protection of their masters, they are pretty laid back.

I guess Scooter will sleep in a room with a view at the Marriott!

Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dog parks or popular dog walking areas in Budapest.

Great, St Istvan park and Margit Island it will be. I'd never pet a dog without asking the owner first, and then only if it looked like it wanted it.

Thanks.

6. Re: Dog parks or popular dog walking areas in Budapest.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 10:16