We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim Card

Ankara, Turkey
8 posts
Save Topic
Sim Card

Hi, I need to know that how can i use my cell phone in Hungry. I mean, I want to buy a SIM for my 2 week Hungry visit. But I have to buy it from Airport because I will go Holloko directly from the Airport. Could you give more information about SIM cards or any other oppurtinty for call my country (Turkey)? Thanks.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,003 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sim Card

I'm not aware of any place at the airport to buy a SIM card. How are you getting to Holloko?

Hungary
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sim Card

Same here. The only other option I see is purchasing one online and having it shipped to you beforehand.

Ankara, Turkey
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sim Card

By bus. My organization arranged that.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sim Card

Hi Oguz,

No doubt, even in the smallest Hungarian towns, the 3 primary mobile providers will have a shop - or one close. You can secure a pre paid card in a local shop with your passport. I am 99% certain an airport option does not exist, sorry. Be certain your handset is unlocked to allow a provides SIM other than your current provider.

As for other ideas, if you are taking a bus, maybe the organizer can pick one up for you and have it waiting with the driver? A long shot, but worth asking. Vodafone has the best 3G coverage country wide, or certainly that's what they're currently advertising all over the city. May want to give them a shot, but any of Big 3 may suffice.

Happy travels. And hey, you may want to stay and open a SIM card business in the airport!

Jeremy

Ankara, Turkey
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sim Card

Thank you very much for your explanatory answer. About the open a sim card bussiness certinly a good idea. ;)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sim Card

I seriously doubt you will find a sim card store in Holloko or anywhere close by...because there is nothing close by.

Have you asked your carrier if they have a reciprocal program in Hungary?

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,003 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sim Card

How much time will you have at the airport? If you have an hour or so, you can take the 200E bus to the Kobanya/Kispest Mall (about a 10 minute ride, very frequent); there are all three mobile phone companies there, and then you can take the bus back. Or a taxi either or both ways.

Ankara, Turkey
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sim Card

Yes, I have an hour. That's a good idea. ;) Thanks.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sim Card

Hi Oguzhan, I am not sure if my advice was good, i.e. Postafon SIM cards sold at the Post Office, but you can read our reply to your question here too (sorry for not replying back earlier)

…topbudapest.org/markets/…comment-758

Ankara, Turkey
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sim Card

Thank you very much for your attention.